Chapter 29

Some of you are going to hate me in this chapter. Some will tolerate me. And others will totally love me. I'll provide an explanation on this chapter at the end ((: 

.

.

.

Chapter 29

Ashley hiccuped and buried her head in his chest. She gripped his shirt in her hand, holding onto it like a small girl holding onto her bear. The tears continued to run down her cheek and soaked his shirt.

But like all those times before, he didn't care one bit. He just continued to hold her and continued to whisper sweet nothing into her ear. He stayed even though he didn't need to. He stayed because he knew that she needed him.

It reminded her of the life they used to have. A life filled with happiness and laughter. One that she woke up to with a smile on her face. Their house became their home. A place where they always came back to no matter what happened.

They had almost everything. Love. Protection. Care.

But yet. They lacked one thing in the home that they had created. One thing that was needed in all family.

Trust.

They never trusted each other. Ashley was constantly plagued by the thought of him cheating on her with his secretary and he tossed her aside with just one picture without any kind of confrontation. The one thing they very much needed for their relationship to survive had been the one thing they lacked.

The foundation of all relationship had been missing. It was a miracle that their relationship even survived that long.

But like all relationships without trust, it ended.

Because of that, was their house even a home anymore? Had it ever even been a home to them? Was the life they led nothing but an illusion? An illusion that could possibly continue if she were to somehow get back together with him?

No.

She couldn't have that.

She can't let Isabella grow up in a house where her parents didn't trust each other. She'd rather have Isabella grow up in different households. Ones where Isabella wouldn't be confused on the status of her parents.

They already went through one messy divorce.

That was enough to prove to her that Dante wasn't as ready as he thought he was. The lack of trust he had in them proved how unhappy he was. If he had been happy, he would have came to her and confronted her before anything else.

Ashley pulled away from him and scooted away. She wiped her tears and hugged her body. "We need to talk, Dante."

He sighed. "Listen, I know that—"

"I'm sorry." Ashley blurted out. She turned to him and looked at him through her blurred vision. "I'm sorry that you were unhappy in our marriage."

Dante shook his head. His hand reached out for her but fell down when she scooted further away from him. "No, I wasn't. I swear I wasn't."

"You were." she whispered.

"I was at my happiest with you." he whispered back.

"Then why didn't you trust me?" her voice cracked and tears began to slip down her face again.

He looked away from her. His eyes closed. "I had been stupid."

"Tell me the truth Dante. Why didn't you confront me about it?" She placed her hand on his shoulder.