chapter 21: danger

We were almost to the Scion when we both stopped abruptly. A group of men stood a good distance from us. There arms were crossed as they stood by our car, waiting for us.

"That's an unfamiliar scent." I breathed as I stared wide-eyed at the group.

"Unfamiliar but werewolves none-the-less."

"I didn't catch their scent."

"Me either." He whispered stiffly. "Probably because we've been locked on Emily, Ivan and Zane's scent. We weren't expecting anyone else."

"Hey!" One of them called over to us impatiently. He was leaning against the front of the Scion. "We've been looking for you!" A sly type of smile slithered across his face.

Shane let out a growl that came deep from his throat. It wasn't good that he was covered from head to toe in my shopping bags.

"I see you're still taking orders from Emily, Milo."

That was a strange name for him. Milo sounds like a name that should go with someone who's cute, adorable even, not with someone who looks big and brawny. Big in the sense that no one could possibly ever beat him in a fight. He was good looking in a way but of course not as handsome as Shane and didn't even measure up to Jacob either. I wasn't even going to compare him to Kale, Milo didn't stand a chance. Milo snorted.

"Orders. We both know that killing a vampire is no order." He let out, tauntingly.

All the bags dropped, Shane flung himself at Milo in a flash. My keen eyes were able to catch it, and even slow down his quick movement.

"Shane!" I called but was faced with my own problems. "Don't mess with me." I threatened between my teeth.

I felt myself tense as three of the six werewolves stood before me. I knew my eyes were quickly turning black. One of them laughed amused.

"Zane was right, she is fiesty."

"Too bad we have to get rid of her." The one beside him sighed, frowning mockingly.

"Fine." I growled at them. "You had your chance to leave."

All three of them burst out laughing.

"Our chance," The third one snickered. "Like a vampire could do damage to us."

With that last insult I lunged at him. With my fists clenched I hit him so hard he flew into a nearby car, sounding the alarm on it. A moment and I could see Shane not only fighting with Milo but with the other two as well. He seemed to be winning with one beneath his foot and the other he held tightly with one hand by the neck. Milo leapt at him as someone yanked my hair and flung me hard into the ground.

There was a crushing noise, it had nothing to do with my body but I layed on my back for a short second in shock. Then I realized my body had tore into the hard parking lot, leaving a large hole. I let out a gasp as a foot lodged down hard onto my throat. It didn't hurt like it should have though.

I grabbed whoever's leg it was. With all my strength I knocked him off of me. He fell back fast and hard. But another one was instantly on top of me. I caught sight of Shane for a moment, when I did each one of them in that distant fight changed forms, bursting into their true selves. The fight must have gotten bad over there. I didn't have time to keep paying attention to them though. The one I had flung away from me was yelling. I think he had been yelling this whole time.

"She broke my damn leg!"

The one on top of me glanced at his packmate, then at me.

"Broken legs take us hours to heal!" He snapped at me.