chap. 26: epilogue

~10 YEARS LATER~

My cell phone rang. I pulled my phone as I continued to run. Why would you call me? I don't want to talk to you. I thought to myself irritated. There was no way I was going to talk to him after what he did. How could I forgive him? My phone let out a muffled beep. Oh great, he left a message.

I came up to the house in the quiet neighborhood. I walked right in, not needing to knock of course. The house was full of balloons and party decorations. They really went all out, but they always did. I guess I would too if he were my son.

"I smell vampire." Someone complained from the kitchen.

"Not just any vampire, that's our vampire!" Anya and Jason said in unison, laughing.

It was the usual greeting, always the same. I remember a time when the word vampire was human. Anya was the first one to come skipping down the hall. Time was definitely frozen for us, nothing changed a bit. Jason followed behind her.

"Dolcetto!" She hugged me excitedly, followed quickly by Jason's embrace.

"Did you get a hold of Anabelle and William?" Jason asked.

"They'll be here." I grinned. My phone beeped again. I ignored it. "Where's Nathan?"

"On his way. Probably dragging Shane to more bars." Anya rolled her eyes.

Even though Nathan should have been 10 right now, he was actually 21 which was lucky for him because that's when he stopped aging. He was younger then me but at the same time older then me. We had a strange relationship. Neither of them really drank much but Nathan made it his duty to "find Shane a girl" as Nathan had put it, a decent girl with no luck so far. I handed Jason the perfectly wrapped present.

"It's a toy truck." I whispered. He chuckled.

"A toy truck?" Nathan's voice rang out behind me.

Jason burst out laughing and went to the kitchen. I spun around. Anya greeted her son with a hug.

"Mom..." Nathan muttered, sounding somewhat embarrassed.

"Just a friendly reminder of the age you should be right now."

He rolled his golden eyes at me. He had Anya's hair, only because of how short it was you really couldn't tell how thick it was. He had facial hair that was stubby but worked for him. He looked so much like Jason, anyone who didn't know they were father and son thought they were brothers. Shane was quick to hug me first as Nathan glowered at me.

"Any luck?" Shane knew what I was asking. He shook his head.

"Nope, not tonight." He let me go. Nathan was next to hug me.

"Where's Kale?" He asked when we pulled away from eachother andheaded into the kitchen.

"He--" I began but stopped myself short and turned around. As soon as I did he pulled me into his arms, kissing me long and hard.

"Missed you!" He breathed, kissing my nose now.

"Missed you more." I challenged. He set me down on my feet.

"Impossible..." He shook his head.

Nathan cleared his throat. We both turned to him.

"I was hunting." He answered Nathan's question that he had just asked me. Kale pulled a black iphone from his pocket with a little red ribbon on it and handed it to him. "Oh, look what I found. You can have it I guess." He shrugged.

Nathan's eyes widened as he took it. His cell phone was just a silver flip phone, he'd been asking for a new, better one for awhile now.

"Thanks! And you just got me a toy." He teased toward me.