Chapter Thirteen: Munchkins

The auditions were held Friday after school and true to her word, Nina was there.

And she wasn't half-bad.

It shouldn't have been a surprise to Cordelia. Nina always did have a talent for the dramatic.

Cordelia walked out of auditions considerably humbled.

When she walked out of school she spotted Cal and Nina. Together.

They were secluded under a white oak tree on the lawn.

Cal was leaning against the trunk of the tree, and Nina was next to him. They were so close, their foreheads were practically touching.

Cordelia felt like she was going to throw up.

She stood on the steps of the school, rooted to the spot, watching, waiting.

Waiting for them to kiss.

But they didn't. They just talked for a few minutes, before Nina shouldered her Marc Jabobs bag and strut away towards her Mercedes.

Cordelia let out a sigh of relief she hadn't realised she'd been holding in, and her feet finally started listening to her brain, as she walked towards Cal.

"Hey." She smiled amiably, as she jogged to catch up with him on his walk towards his Jeep wrangler.

"Hey." He smiled dashingly, stopping dead in his tracks to let her catch up. "Did you just get out of auditions?"

"Uh yeah, I did." She replied, with an soft smile.

He smiled charmingly, "What part did you audition for?" He asked as he walked her to her car.

Cordelia caught herself being lured into his smile and mentally slammed on the breaks.

"I was hoping to get Hermia, but honestly I'd be happy with any part. I just really love acting." She divulged.

He nodded, "That's cool. My only acting experience comes from when I played a munchkin in my elementary school production of The Wizard of Oz. The kindergardeners all had the priviledge of playing munchkins." He chuckled, "I much prefer watching plays over participating in them." He admitted as they got to where the Toyota was parked.

Cordelia laughed at the thought of a five year old Cal dressed as a munchkin, standing in the background singing Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead.

She caught Cal staring at her with a small wistful smile, before he was back to his usual, charismatic self.

"So...tomorrow night," he began, resting his forearms and chin on the roof of the car. "You're still coming right?"

"Um, yeah definitely." She beamed.

A devilish smirk graced his tempting lips, as he rounded the car to stand in front of her. "I was hoping you could maybe come early...help me set everything up...?" He told her, quirking a dark brow.

With a smile like that, how could anyone say no?

Not that Cordelia would have.

Even if she liked Cal...alot, Cordelia told herself to be careful. Cal, for whatever reason had some kind of power over her that could be dangerous.