Chapter Four-Mountains

Chapter Four

Mountains

My suitcases were packed.

Nervously, I sat on Ayora's couch biting my nails. I tried to distract myself by looking around the living room but there was nothing new enough to catch my attention. It was tidy as always, the rouge-rug scrunching beneath my feet. My eyes swept over her mahogany table, shining under the morning light and decorated with a vase of flowers. The room was always a bit dark because of the drawn red curtains; Ayora once told me she and her husband-my father-liked to remain inconspicuous. They didn't want to draw any attention to themselves being shape-shifters and all. That was why they lived in this little house; all those years they made sure vampires kept out of Worchester heights; until I came back from spring break.

And obviously the vampires followed me here.

I heard footsteps approaching from the kitchen and my mother entered the living room; smiling with a mug in her hand. I returned the smile, eyes running over her floral dress.

"Are you ready honey? They'll be here in twenty minutes." She announced huskily, coming to sit beside me. I startled, a jolt running down my back

"Twenty minutes? Oh my God, I'm not ready." I muttered. She frowned at me sipping her tea. The air around us was cold.

"I know it's going to be hard Peyton; but trust me this is for the best." She told me with a nod, and I sighed, agreeing.

"I know...I just really don't want to leave my friends here alone." I replied. Ayora gave me a pitying look.

"Peyton you know I'll keep an eye out for them; and the only reason this town...and your friends were even in danger is because-"

"Of me, I know, I get it." I mumbled with a sigh. She brought an arm around my shoulders, hugging me to her chest. I closed my eyes, and imagined-guiltily-that it was my other mom-Joan. I missed her so much. A painful throb went through my heart.

"What about you? Will you be okay?" I asked her softly, and she squeezed my shoulders in reassurance.

"Of course honey! I'll be fine." She said, but it all seemed a little...well, fake.

"You know you could always come with me, I mean wouldn't you like to see Wolvenpraire again?" I asked her one more time, even though we'd already had this conversation last night.

"I can't Peyton; you know I have a job to do here." She said a little harshly; that made me shut up immediately. Ayora seemed completely adverse to the idea of leaving this place-even though there was nothing else for her here. Her husband...was gone; and her daughter, me-was leaving. Her entire wolf-family was back at Wolvenpraire-I didn't understand why she wouldn't come with me. It was almost like...she was afraid the exact same thing that happened sixteen years ago would happen again.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I startled, my heart jumping to my throat. Oh God.

Ayora nodded at me reassuringly, and nervously I went to answer the door. My heart was beating hard and fast; I knew that because of Ayora's heightened senses she would definitely hear it...and so would whoever was on the other side of the door. Goosebumps rose on my skin as I pulled it open.

"Ugh! You complete bitch, I can't believe you would do this to me!" Someone groaned and I stared in shock as I watched-Angela-march through our house in a woolen sweater and suitcase in tow. I stared at her with wide eyes. She dropped the suitcase in the middle of the floor and glared at me, blue eyes wide. I smiled in relief-but was super confused. Still holding on to the door knob I met eyes with Ayora and we looked at Angela.