chapter 19

"WAKE UP, YOU LAZY LUMP! TODAY'S QUIDDITCH TRY-OUTS AND YOU NEED TO GET SOME FOOD IN YOUR SYSTEM!" Lily yells in my ear to get me to wake, as per usual, though this fine morning is lacking the habitual pillow smack to the face. And thank merlin for that.

"Lily, I love you for being my personal alarm clock, but I hope you know that I've come to despise your voice." I mumble groggily, sleep being the thing I'm craving most right now...besides a croissant, but I won't give her the satisfaction of knowing that.

Lily places a hand to her heart and mocks a look of overjoy. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for someone to say something like that to me. Really makes a girl feel special." At that, she drops the happy act and her face goes stony, causing me to giggle.

"Oh Lils, don't get your wand in a knot. I'm only joking...partly. Anyhow, are you coming to watch me play today?" I ask, pulling off my jumper and tugging on my quidditch jersey in its place.

"Of course I am! What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't?" She laughs heartily, wrapping her Gryffindor scarf around her neck, grinning at me with pride. "The other girls will be joining me as well. We're all going to be there to support you, lovie!"

"Awe you guys are the sweetest. Cheer Sirius on too, would you? He deserves support all the same." I add, slapping on my knee pads.

"If it would make you happy then okay I'll cheer Black on as well." Lily rolls her eyes, though I don't miss the smile playing across her lips. "But you are the main attraction today!"

"Ooh, I like the sound of that."

*

"Nervous?" Sirius asks me during breakfast, watching amusedly as I scarf down a plateful of croissants. I shake my head from side-to-side, a shrug pulling my shoulders up and then back down.

"Not even a little," I reply honestly. "are you?" My eyes raise to his and I search that stormy gaze for any hint of fear.

"Not a chance." He says with an easy smirk across his face before eyeing James. I follow his gaze toward the boy and let out a chuckle. "Clearly the same can't be said about James over there." Sirius says, leaning over the table to whisper it. James is currently muttering something under his breath with his head in his hands, occasionally running a hand through the messy hair atop his head. "Mate, I really think you should eat something." Sirius suggests with a newfound look of concern for his best friend's health. He picks up a forkful of eggs from his own plate and shoves it closer to James' face. "Open up, Jamie! Here comes the...here comes the Hogwarts Express!"

James' expression remains that of an unimpressed one, his eyes fixated on the eggs with anxiety. "If I take even one bite, I'm afraid it'll all come back to haunt me on the field." James admits, cracking his knuckles on the table, a nervous habit of his that I've picked up on. I cringe at the noise and place a gentle hand over his.

"JJ, at least drink something? Please, for me?" Cue the award-winning pout that I've mastered throughout my twelve years on this planet. His features soften at my face along with my newest nickname for him and he picks up his goblet of water, gulping down the liquid quickly. A throat is heard clearing from behind my back and I turn to find the beaming faces of the twins I've grown to adore. "Fabby and Giddy! To what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask, leaning my elbow against the table and turning my body around on the bench to get a better look at my mates.

"Gids and I just came to wish you, Sirius and James best of luck at tryouts." Fabian answers, his eyes crinkling in delight as he smiles, with Gideon wearing an identical expression.

Sirius wipes away mock tears of joy and crawls underneath the table instead of walking all around it to meet the two in a hug. "My heart!"

"Keeks, join the family hug!" Fabian grabs the front of my shirt and tugs me into his side. I giggle, wrapping my arms around Fabian's waist. Seeing as I'm the shortest, the three move to surround me in a hug from all sides.