1- 5.How To Make Everyone Hate You In One Easy Step

Okay, so he'd definitely fucked up this time. Pretty badly.

It was at least seven in the morning, and he'd woken up with someone's arm around his waist and the sense of dread you get only when you realize something terrible has just happened, and may only get worse. He laid there for a while, staring out of the opposite window and watching the sky turn blue, trying to think of some excuse he could give his cabin mates for not turning up last night. They probably weren't worried about him.

And Nick...well, Nick was quickly becoming only a thought to him, a one night stand that could potentially humiliate him. Dan was so stupid, and at the worst possible times, it seemed. He didn't think of the consequences of his actions, didn't like to contemplate how they might affect him in the long run, and that' was why he didn't have any friends and was sent to this camp and it's why he calls himself a fuck-up in general life, because he is. And nothing he did seemed to be enough to change that. No one thought of him as a person they wanted
to stick around in their lives.

But he'd deal with all of that self-deprecation later, because right now, he had bigger problems.

It was easy, removing Nick's arm from its death grip around his waist, he was a deep sleeper it seemed, and Dan gratefully grabbed his clothes from the floor and left the cabin without trouble. Having your dad own the place had its perks apparently, because Nick didn't have to share with anyone else, and he had his own bathroom. Nepotism at its finest.

"Shit," Dan muttered to himself, pressing his fingertips to his forehead and closing his eyes. He had a really distracting headache, and those stupid fucking birds weren't helping, sitting in seemingly every goddamn tree and chirping like their lives depended on it. At least the grounds were empty right now; he didn't think he could handle human interaction this early in the morning, and not in his current state of mind.

What he really needed was a shower, and he sighed in relief when he finally reached his own cabin, practically on the other side of the camp. He would endure the disease-ridden floors of it meant getting the stench of alcohol and sweat off of him.

He opened the door and nearly ran into Phil who was on his way out, carrying a towel and a change of clothes.

"Sorry," Dan said, stepping back out of his personal space. "Jeez, we need to stop running into each other, huh?" Phil didn't reply, only gave him a blank stare, and Dan recoiled into himself slightly. "Um, are you, going for a shower? Cause I was just about to, if you wouldn't mind me tagging along."

"Thought you said you wouldn't follow me to the bathrooms anymore?" Phil said.

"Promise this'll be the last time."

Phil agreed, but Dan couldn't help but feel that it was a reluctant move. He grabbed a change of clothes and his own towel before along into step beside Phil, staring down at his feet as they walked to the showers. It was quiet between them, uneasily so, and Dan struggle to find a way to break it; it was weird, because he usually didn't bother striking up conversations with people he didn't know that well, but over the three days he'd been here so far, he'd found that Phil was someone he could easily talk to. But now, it was...awkward.

Dan crossed his arms over his chest, clutching his biceps until there were ten half-crescent nail marks indented in the skin. "So, how was your night, then?" He asked casually, giving Phil a curious look. "You didn't go to the party, so..."

Phil shrugged. "After a while, all the parties and the drinking and the lowered inhibitions get to be too much, you know?" Dan nodded; he was starting to grow tired of it himself. "And lately, my tolerance for it has gotten much lower. Would rather stay inside by myself, catch up on all that summer reading and such."