26: The Final Blow

Frank forced himself to keep his eyes trained forward, focusing all of his attention on the monster in front of him instead of his husband, or the other winged beings which were grouping together for one final assault, or the fear that was corroding away at his insides, because he couldn't become distracted, not now when everyone was depending on him to make this last blow count.

Frank's palms ached where they were gripping the sword of Michael even after Billie's healing, his fingers clasping onto the metal as tightly as possible so he wouldn't make another blunder like earlier and end up dropping it. He had been caught off guard initially, not expecting the Leviathan's blood to be acidic in nature, but that wasn't an excuse for his clumsiness, and he couldn't afford a repeat of that mistake, not when his weapon was the only chance they had of defeating this creature.

Frank's throat began to close up the closer he got to the beast, because despite the brave words he had spouted to Gerard earlier, he was so fucking scared that he wasn't going to make it out of this alive, but he couldn't let his fear show in front of Gerard, so he swallowed back the bile bubbling in his esophagus determinedly, needing to remain strong for his love, not to mention the rest of the world.

That didn't mean that Frank wasn't terrified though, because he was. Frank didn't want to die, he couldn't fathom being separated from Gerard again, because even if he didn't remember his husband once he reached the final death, he had experienced firsthand the agony Gerard would suffer through without him there. The six months after Gerard's death at Lucifer's hands had been the worst time of his life, and he couldn't condone the person he loved most to that dismal state of existence, but what was he supposed to do?

The Leviathan needed to be brought down, and it had to be done now. If Frank backed out of this, the world would pay for his selfishness, and both he and Gerard might perish either way during the destruction the Leviathan was sure to unleash on the earth once it was fully coherent again.

In the end, Frank knew he didn't have a choice either way. He had to do this, because he couldn't let Gerard take the risk, or anyone else for that matter. If the person who took his place died attempting to perform the task he was supposed to complete, Frank wouldn't be able to live with the guilt that would follow him for the rest of his life, so he had to trust in his abilities and Gerard's speed, and maybe they would make it out of this - they had to.

"Everyone is in position, are you ready Frank?" Brendon's voice filled Frank's mind, snapping him out of his thoughts and back into the present.

"I am...and Brendon?" Frank paused both in his mental speech and his rapid flight, waiting for the angels surrounding the Leviathan to attack so he could fly inside its mouth unhindered.

"Yes?" Brendon asked, and even though Frank couldn't see his friend from where he was hovering, he could imagine the look of concern he was sure Brendon's face was carrying by his tone alone.

"If something does happen to me, can you take care of Gerard? He is going to need someone to be there for him if I can't be, and I - I just need to make sure that he won't do anything stupid like trying to join me or whatever."

Frank glanced behind him then, his gaze locking with his husband's teary eyes for a brief moment, and even though Frank ached to pull him into his arms and comfort him until the last possible second, he knew he would lose the small amount of courage he had managed to muster if he gave into that desire, so he kept his limbs firmly pressed to his side instead.

"Of course Frank, we will all watch over him, I promise, but he isn't going to handle it well if you don't survive, so try your best to make it out of there alive yeah?"