eight

I slowly turn and meet the eyes of Harry as he crosses the street. A smirk painted on his lips as he walks up to me.

I clench my jaw. "Hi," I say coldly.

"What are you doing out here all alone?" His tone is taunting.

I cross my arms over my chest. "I don't need your shit right now," I say. "So if you could leave me alone that would be ideal."

Harry's smirk grows. "Where's Dr. Boyfriend?" He asks, ignoring me.

"He's an intern," I snap. I lock my jaw when I realize I just hurt my own case.

"Right, how could I forget." Harry's gaze teases me.

"Right," I mirror his tone. "Leave me alone, please."

"Something tells me you need a ride home, Rosie."

I snap up. "Don't call me that."

"What? 'Rosie?' Or do you prefer 'Rosalie?'" Of course he'd known my full name. Damn him getting my file.

"Stop it," I say.

"I personally like 'Rosie.'"

"Go away."

"Come on, Rosie, I'll give you a ride. But that means you'll have to owe me."

"I'm not riding home with you."

"Alright, then who's your ride?"

"Zayn," I lie.

"Bullshit," Harry says. "Zayn wouldn't be able to pick you up."

"Why not?"

"He's..." He trails off, breaking my gaze. "He's busy." His demeanor shifts. I tilt my head, curiosity swelling inside of me.

"How do you know I even need a ride?" I retort.

Harry looks back at me, grinning. "I can tell."

I huff.

"Come on," he says, turning to cross the street again. When I don't move, he looks back over his shoulder. "Or you could stay out here in the cold."

I know my options are limited, and I'd rather choke myself with all of Mike's M&M's than spent time with Harry, but I roll my eyes and follow him across the street anyway.

He half smiles when he sees I'm following him. We walk into the parking lot of the bar and stop at a sleek black sedan. Harry unlocks it and I get into the passenger seat, looking out the window as he starts the car.

His vehicle is surprisingly clean, with the new car smell still lingering. A sweatshirt is draped over the passenger seat, and Harry tosses it into the back.

"So let me guess," Harry says as he backs out of the lot. "Doctor Boy stood you up."

I roll my eyes. "Wrong."

"Or did he leave you in the middle of the dinner? Shit, that's heartless." He smirks at my clenched jaw.

"You would know."

"I'm offended," he says in mock hurt. "You think I'm heartless."

"Well, considering the first time we met you told me to keep the noise down when I wasn't even making any," I bite back.

Harry half smiles. "It was future reference."

"Right."

"Your file was very interesting," Harry says, changing the subject. "Native to New York, yes?"