23; Negotiated Freedom

'Cleopatra' by The Lumineers

"I was Cleopatra, I was taller than the rafters.

But that's all in the past now, gone with the wind.

Now a nurse in white shoes leads me back to my guestroom."

The first week of living at the Plantation House had me bored to the core. There was absolutely nothing to do on this damned property. Klaus was very insistent that I stay inside the house, but somehow I managed to change his mind.

I woke up at around ten o'clock with Klaus absent from bed so, I stumbled tiredly downstairs to see Klaus sitting on the couch, reading a book, and drinking blood from a scotch glass. I squinted through the morning sun.

My short brown hair stuck up and knotted in random places, I had dark circles under my eyes and my skin was pale from my lack of being outside, and all I was wearing was one of Klaus' shirts and my underwear.

I shielded my eyes from the morning sun that ever so happily burst from the window. I groaned, catching Klaus' attention. He smiled widely when he saw my current state of grogginess.

"Looks like Sleeping Beauty is awake," he greeted.

I dawdled over to him, grabbed the book he was reading, closed it and set it aside. I sat on his lap and extended my legs onto the rest of the couch. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my head into his shoulder. Klaus chuckled and wrapped his arms around me.

"Why'd you get up?" I murmured against his skin.

"Some of us actually have to keep the witches from killing you, love," he sighed.

"Let me help," I groaned, raising my head so our eyes meet.

"Harper, that's not going to happen."

"Why not? The only people who know that I'm pregnant are the witches. They want to keep it that way. If I suddenly disappear from Marcel's sight, then he'll send his vamps to find me," I explained.

"They won't find you. Plus, you can feel them from a mile away," Klaus reminded me.

"Exactly. I can feel them from a mile away. I'm not useless. Plus, I miss my friends," I pleaded.

"I never said you were useless, Harper. Am I not enough?" he asked with a frown.

"You're not here most of the time, Klaus. So, I'm always alone," I pouted.

Klaus sighed. "What if someone hears the baby's heartbeat?" he asked

"They won't be able to even if they try to listen. I can make it so I can't be heard. Listen," I demanded.

He sighed and focused. "Harper-" he began to complain again.

"I can only hear his heartbeat if I want, Klaus. Please. I want to see Marcel," I beg.

"Why do you care about Marcel so much?" he growled.

"He was my only only friend here. Now, I have you, him, and Elijah, which you still haven't told me the truth about where he is," I stared at him. Klaus groaned. "How about this? I can't go out as long as my baby belly isn't showing. Later, when I start getting bigger, I'll stay at the house," I suggested.

"You won't let me say no, will you?" Klaus sighed.

"Nope," I smiled widely, pecking his lips. "I love you!" I call, getting up and running up the stairs.