16|| Pawn to D6

16|| Pawn to D6

The Dark Lord and time-travelling heroine move into the Transfiguration classroom with utter ease, though one bares the look of pure loathing and the other with genuine contentment. Tom Riddle hates Albus Dumbledore and all his suspicious ways, focused on him and no one else. Hermione Granger, on the other hand, had found a mentor in the older figure, so wise and strong in the face of such horrid evils. So their expressions serve as juxtaposed ideologies, yet united in the same cause for differing reasons.

Few other students sit in the classroom, all of their heads raising to look at the powerful and smart duo, walking together for the first time since her admission to the school. Hermione, as per usual, takes her seat at the front of the class, unsurprised (at this point) when Tom sits beside her and prompting the others to watch the two carefully. And yet, Hermione pays no mind to them, wondering how long Tom will keep this companionship up.

The next thing is what shocks Hermione to the core. Placing books aside in pursuit of some parchment, Hermione's eyes lock upon the cursed and horror-invoking Diary. Sitting beneath a Divination journal and above a Potion's textbook, Tom Riddle's Diary seems an unfitting piece of dark magic that has no place in such academia. Her face reflects shock and horror at the sight, missed by the Dark Lord, luckily enough, as he draws paper from his bag. And though he fails to see her expression, Dumbledore catches it easily, knowing what is scaring her so greatly, yet avidly wondering why.

  And though he fails to see her expression, Dumbledore catches it easily, knowing what is scaring her so greatly, yet avidly wondering why

And though he is suspicious of her intentions, Dumbledore perceives an ally in Hermione Granger from the sheer look of fear on her face. Tom's face rises from his task, tempting the Dark Lord to notice the girl and prompting Dumbledore to start the class, a distraction for both students.

Tom Riddle might have lost his need for suspecting Hermione of ulterior intentions, but Dumbledore is onto her story, unyielding in his pursuit for the truth.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Hermione's pleas for peace go unheeded for the remainder of the day, Tom Riddle following her around like some love-struck child with a master facade of coldness. Indeed, it is not until after dinner that she finds the peace she so needs, Tom following her from classes, to breaks, to homework, and to meals. It was only due to a meeting with Dippet that he is no longer by her side, leaving Hermione to the graceful company of Abraxas and Clary, true friends.

The three study quietly for the exam in Defense, eyes strewn across notes and books and hearts calmed by the quiet of the library. And yet, only one of them is truly focused on the task: Clary. Meanwhile, Hermione is haunted by the ghost of the future Tom Riddle and his present interest in her. And Abraxas, wondering what has happened to his good friend to attract such a demon as the Dark Lord to her side.

"Hermione, why is Tom following you around?" Abraxas finally asks, accepting he will not be able to focus until he discovers the true reasons for Tom's actions. Of course, he suspects it is due to the Knight meeting the night prior, but he wants to know exactly why her actions interest him.