Chapter Two (Part 2)-Shackled NOT Bound

Hi, All! Another update for you. I was itching to get this one posted for everyone. Hope you like it!

Our hearts beat as one? My hands itched and my charms started to light up

Our hearts beat as one? My hands itched and my charms started to light up. "I'm almost afraid to ask." I washed my hands down my face, took a deep breath and sighed. "And with Robin's hasty retreat, I can only imagine what it might mean." I crossed my arms over my shirt.

"It means just what it sounds like Wren." His eyes went stormy blue-grey. "We are bound in life and death. Once the circle has granted a knot, there's nothing Jaxon or anyone else can do to change that." He wiped his hands on his jeans.

"So, what, if you die, I die? Is that what you're trying to say?"

"Yeah. I guess that sums it up." He pursed his lips.

A wave of anger swept over me. "Are you crazy? Why on earth would you agree to that?" I had the sudden urge to pummel his chest with my fists and scream.

"Last time I checked we aren't on Earth—this is Acklemar. We play by different rules here, so if you think that's crazy, then fine I'm crazy. But it you want to know why I did it? It was either remove my flourish and possibly never see you again or that knotted ring."

I lowered my gazed and watched the rise and fall of his chest. My words choked in my throat. Outside, the sky sounded like it opened up with the pitter-patter of rain pelting down on the branches above us. A loud crack of thunder broke the silence between us.

"But a knotted ring? A regular ring would have been just fine. You know, one without all the life and death stuff." I wiped my face. Rain dripped through the leaves wetting my hair and drizzled down my cheek.

He shook his head and lifted my chin. "It takes two to ask the circle for its blessing." He sighed. A single stone on his bracelet and my necklace were beating in sync with each other. "When it comes to a ring of the heart, the words aren't spoken in the exchange but thought. All other ring commitments are said aloud, something I'm pretty sure Jaxon would have interrupted."

"Oh..." No kidding. I'm sure Jax would have come up with something more nuclear than a fireball if he'd known that was what was going on. "If it can't be broken, does that mean we're partners?"

"Why? Can't wait to be all mine, can you?"

So cocky. "You wish."

"No wishes need." He held up his bracelet with the stone beating away. "But to answer your question. We're bound together, but the ring partner commitment isn't official until you finish your binding ring on me."

"Let me guess that can't happen until my birthday," I said, remembering Jaxon's words.

He nodded and leaned in so his lips lingered above mine. "You have to have your mark before you make your commitment to me." I could feel the warmth of his breath when he spoke. My pulse raced with the thought of him and I... Then he pressed his lips to mine, running his tongue along the inside of my mouth. His hands ran up my back and dragged through my hair making my arms and neck tingle. He pulled away and wet the side of my neck with tiny kisses, then claimed my lips once more. When he pulled away, I was gasping for air and left dizzily wanting more.