Ch. 12 - Nineteen Kids and Counting

"Why don't men lactate?"

I sit in the family room, sprawled on the couch and completely wiped out from preparing for the arrival of nineteen thirteen-year-old boys. The quick decision to order pizzas from Elliott was a big help. Sadly, I didn't order enough pizzas and the young teens became feisty with me, demanding food and drink and entertainment.

Sorry, boys, this isn't a five-year-olds birthday party and the closest thing we have for a clown is Ethan Kennedy wearing makeup.

"Why are boys so dumb?" Crystal asks as we listen in on their conversations in the kitchen while eating all the groceries I bought less than ten hours ago.

"What does lack-lackdate mean?" Ethan asks, struggling to pronounce the word.

"Shh," I shush him by placing my hand over his mouth. "I have to hear this."

"I think it's because the milk we drink goes to our bones and not to our boobs."

Elliott walks downstairs in just sweatpants that hang low on his hips, a towel in his hands as he dries his wet hair. I try my best not to stare, remembering that I am in a room full of nineteen kids and counting. He sits next to Rose on the couch and puts an arm over her shoulder's.

"Why are there twenty teenagers in my kitchen talking about boobs while eating my cheese sticks?"

"I told Ivy she should kick them all out," Crystal says. "The moment the movie theater butter was put in the microwave was the moment things got out of control!"

"Look, I was the one who told Jonas to hang out with the guys from the team. Yes, I didn't tell him to invite them all over at once, but at least he invited them. He hasn't had a friend over besides Jett in weeks."

"You've never had a friend over," Ethan says, poking my cheek.

I smile. "I'm working."

"She also doesn't have any friends to invite over," Elliott teases.

I roll my eyes, even though I'm unable to deny it. There aren't too many friends who I would just call and ask to hang out, unless it was a group thing. The whole one-on-one friendship thing is uncomfortable for me. I just hate that Elliott- or any of the kids for that matter- can so easily use it against me.

"Hey, Ivy, can I talk to you for a second?" Jonas asks as he walks into the family room, fiddling with his fingers.

"Sure, traitor," I mutter and stand to follow him just around the corner. "What's up?"

"The guys want to have a sleepover here.. Are you cool with that?"

"Am I cool with that? Hm. Gee, I honestly don't know. Hey, guys," I pause to walk into the family room, "am I cool with having nineteen thirteen-year-old strangers spend the night at the house?"

"Um, no!" Crystal nearly screams, a chorus of "no"s following her.

"My people have spoken," I say and gesture around the room.

Jonas sighs. "Please, Ivy. It's important to me. Things are going so well. I-I'm fitting in."

I bite my lip, noting the pure excitement and enjoyment on his face. I haven't seen this yet this summer, other than the first few days. It hasn't been the same since Darren and the bullying, and I just don't want to be the one who takes this enjoyment way.