Eight: Repetition

"To look almost pretty is an acquisition of higher delight to a girl who has been looking plain for the first fifteen years of her life than a beauty from her cradle can ever receive." - Jane Austin

Last night was the most interesting shifts I've ever worked. After Mr. B- I mean Caleb, left me in the ladies room I stayed there for another five or so minutes. When I got up finally, I cleaned myself up the best I could and made my way back to the dining room. I was surprised to see what I did.

My dad was now in the room, with a frying pan in one hand and a big spoon in the other. He was yelling out of the door into the now dark parking lot. I rush to his side then, worried and wondering what could be happening.

"Don't you ever show your faces here again!" He was yelling and I was amazed to see that out the door were all the popular kids, gettig in their cars and driving away. Oh, God, no. This is just going to make things worse!

"Dad, what are you doing?" I say to my dad over his insistant yelling and banging of his cooking untensils- or more like weapons!

"They were making so much damn noise, I'm banning them! They always come in here making trouble, I've had enough!" he says to me as the last of them drive away.

In the final car was Jason and Annabelle, both of them laughing their asses off in the front of the car. Annabelle waves at us teasingly as they speed off. Some more of that hopelessness starts creeping back in from before, as I imagine what I'll face tomorrow at school. Thanks, Dad.

"Alright," was all I said to him and walked back inside to finish my work.

Later on I headed home and crashed. Now it's morning and Carl will be here in a few minutes to take me to school. Joy. I can only imagine the tortures my peers have concocted over night with the new development of them being banned from my diner. Well my dad's diner, but they don't care about details like that.

Carl pulls up in front of my house right on time and I dash for his car. I'm so happy to see him it's not even healthy! As I get in the car thumps with his loud bubblegum punk music, as I like to call it.

"Wazzup, babe," he says to me trying and failing to sound like a pimp. Then we rip off for school, or more like hell.

"You would not believe what happened last night at the diner!" I say then suddenly, ready to tell him all about it.

"Oh, I already heard all about it!" he say then, turning to me in his seat and like the nutjob he is, he lets go of the wheel for a split second, making us swerve. Then grabbing it fast we regain ourselves.

"Hands on the damn wheel!" I squeal out in surprise.

"Sorry, sorry! It's just that the whole thing was all over Facebook last night! It was crazy!"

It was all over Facebook?

We pull into the school parking lot sooner than I was hoping. Once we park he makes the first move to get out while I just sit there thinking. Wonder if I could skip today? I could go down to the park and hide out till after school, then head home. Easy peasy right? Other kids to it all the time.

"I think I'm gonna skip today," I say to him as he's getting out of the car. Freezing mid stance, he turns back to look at with a shocked expression on his face.

"You! You wanna skip school!" he yells WAY too loud.

"Shut up!" I say, hushing him. He snaps his mouth shut a second with wide eyes, looks around quickly then back to me,

"You wanna skip school!?" he whisper yells to me.

Rolling my eyes I say to him, "duh." Sheesh this boy is a trip, let me tell you.