P R E T E N D

"OK THAT'S IT." I THROW THE BLANKET off my body. "I can't do this anymore." 

The thought of having many cameras trained at me while I sleep is burning in my head like a hot, scalding iron. It won't let me sleep. And Juliette's room is around this building somewhere. And the fact that somehow I don't know about it, is killing me. I hate not knowing stuff. I need to see her. As much as I hate to admit it...

I don't think I'll be able to sleep on my own.

I can take a nap but can't spend the night without her. I made her presence a granted thing in the asylum. Whenever the word sleep was used, Juliette was close by. For me, at least. I used to cuddle up with her at night in the cell that's why it was easy when we had to share a bed when Adam got there. Figuratively we were already sharing a bed. I have a strange tendency to grab hold of the person I'm sleeping with and make them my comfort-teddy. Juliette was the best one, yet.

And now I miss her like hell. And sleep is miles away without her, as poetically pathetic as it may sound—it is true.

After tying the stringy laces of my rough sneakers, I gently tiptoe my way towards the huge locked door. I know that it is unlocked, and I also know that these locks are secretly automatic and could be unlocked from the outside if I tried to lock them from the inside in an attempt to get rid of the soldiers, Warner had cheerfully informed me.

The asshøle.

Unlocking the door as lightly as I can, I pry it open while keeping my breath shallow.

"Please don't creak. Please don't creak." I mentally pray. "For once in your goddam existence do not creak."

It doesn't. I gently peek out, making sure I absorb the door material so I can camouflage myself. I look around the hallway. There are two soldiers patrolling around, the rest must've gone back to their barracks. I examine them for a few, silent minutes. One is bulky and huge while the other lean and a bit shorter. I eavesdrop on their conversation.

  The soldier duo reminds me of this show I used to watch, I can't remember the name. One was the sarcastic dude while the other was the dumb idiot. The sarcastic one made the dumb one look even more dumb. I could hear them talk as I watch their backs move towards the left side of the hall, the hilt of their guns visible under the gloomy lights of the narrow passageway. Thankfully I have to go to the right side where I saw them take Juliette. I hear the duo's words echo lightly as I run towards the stairs, I can't really use the elevator.

"Your an idiot sometimes, you know that?" Sarcastic one says to the dumb one.

"Or so you keep telling me." The dumb one says, indifferently.

Ok, I think. So he's not really dumb.

"Yes, and you should know that I ... Wait a minute." I feel myself freeze. Oh hell. I hope to God that they didn't realize that I'm out of my room. This is not going to go down well if they have. "You're being sarcastic."

I finally let myself exhale when I realize that the sarcastic one is only talking to the dumb one.

"No shit, Sherlock." The dumb one snaps.

Ok, maybe I misjudged him. He's clearly better than the other guy by miles. But I don't really have time to waste. Taking two steps at a time, I move up the stairs. I can still hear the soldiers' voice. But they're voices are fading.

"Sherlock?" Confusion rings his voice. "Who the fûck is that?"

"My late wife." The other says, sadly.