eighteen

Chase retrieved his sword from the magnetic holder on the back of his mission suit. It'd been upgraded from the old one, as a sheath was built into his back and a slot from his holo-shield device laid in the lower portion of the sleeves. He willed the shield to life by closing his fist, the faint hum of the tangible hologram tickling his ears as he crept through the forest with his squad.

He scowled as he peered at Cutter, who was abrasively navigating through the thick underbrush of the woods. The guy slashed through the thicker leaves with a machete. At this point, Chase assumed he had every blade in the world hidden on his body. Despite only knowing the guy for about two hours, he already disliked him. Cutter was something of a bully. And he hated bullies.

Who does he think he is?

He may have been a high-ranking Atlas agent but that didn't give him the right to act like a total douche. Victoria acted similarly, though, in a much less antagonizing way. He figured it was an Atlas thing he'd just have to get used to.

He analyzed her plan, trying to deem whether it was effective or not. During trainings, he often served as the team's strategist. Accepting someone else's plan was proving quite the task. His father always told him to treat his authority figures with respect, which is why he didn't protest Director Shaw's decision to send the three agents out with them on the mission. However, his old man also taught him to never follow someone blindly.

That piece of advice stayed close to his heart.

After a couple of moments of deep though, he sighed, realizing that Victoria's plan was tactically solid.

Damn, she's good.

Then again, she'd spent her entire life training to be a soldier. Granted, he'd had a similar upbringing, but not on the same scale. He'd have expected her to be better than him. Though, it was a bit humbling knowing he wasn't the best. He'd get over it. Because while she and the other agents may have been superior tactically, he had something they didn't.

Superpowers.

Who needed perfect aim when he could swat enemies down like flies? A chill ran down his spine as he anticipated the upcoming fight. A few Kismet vans were parked around the warehouse, indicating that they'd arrived to acquire their shipment. Once he and the others were on the scene, the mercenaries wouldn't even make it out the doors with it.

As the group of nine approached the edge of the forest, which was serving as their temporary hiding spot, Precision held up his hand, motioning for them all to stop behind him. He pressed a button that was on his neck and a metal plated mask climbed up his throat and stopped once it covered his mouth. A crooked smile had been carved into the mask with a blade of some sorts, giving the agent a deranged appearance.

Chase arched an eyebrow at Victoria. ''You've got some strange friends.''

She scoffed. ''You're one to talk.''

''Touché.''

Cutter pulled a flat, silver circle out of his pocket and tapped its center. A map of the inside of the warehouse hovered above it. Red dots, which Chase assumed were the Kismet soldiers, moved slowly around the inside of the building.

Theo zipped next to the agent and peeked over his shoulder. ''How does that thing work? X-Ray? Heat vision?''

''Satellite.''

''Oh. I was close.''

''No, you weren't.''

''Fuego,'' Victoria said without looking at him. ''Get ready.''

Oscar frowned. ''This better work.''

''You'll be fine,'' Chase insisted. He patted the boy's shoulder for extra emphasis. It seemed to ease his nerves a bit, but he still looked anxious.