12 | The Confession

HARRY

     Up until this point of time, I could not fully grasp the exact detail of what would happen to Niall. All I knew now was that he had his one foot in the grave, and the thought of his life being on the verge of the end was something too dreadful to think about.

     Here I was, all alone again in my new room, my mind contemplating too hard about what would be my best friend’s fate. Mike told us that he would do everything that he could just to save Niall’s life, but there would always be that minute chance of bereavement along the way. At times like these, you could never tell what was about to come, everything was uncertain, especially when you’re talking about someone’s life that had been put to paramount risk. Anything could happen, but of course, all I wanted was the best for Niall – and that’s for him to live.

     “Harry, breakfast is ready!”

     Louis suddenly came in with a bowl of noodles in his hands, smiling blissfully as he walked and sat on the chair next to my bed. His actions were quite unpredictable sometimes, and the least I could do was to smile in his efforts to make me in high spirits, despite all of the dilemmas we were facing.

     “Open your mouth, big guy,” he said after blowing the spoonful of noodles to ease the balminess of the soup.

     “What are you doing?” I asked while I tried to control a laugh escaping from my mouth.

     “Don’t tell me you’re not hungry. You’ve been unconscious for several hours yourself. You’ll soon realize that you have to eat, right? Now come on, here comes the plane!”

     My endeavors of keeping my laugh ultimately failed, and Louis did so himself. I knew what he was trying to do, and so I just decided to go on with the flow, letting him conceal the perceivable pain and sadness I was feeling. With that given, I opened my mouth, letting Lou’s so-called illusory plane of noodles into the dark tunnel of my orifice. And truth be told, he was right. I was quite famished, given the fact that I was knocked out for a couple of hours after the tragic episode outside in London.

     “Where am I Lou? I mean, are we still in London?”

     “Yes we are, somewhere in Liverpool Road.”

     “How long have you been with them?”

     “Ever since that night when we got all separated, Mike saw me while I was calling out for you, but those monsters were starting to kill all the people in the arena, and he came by to get me. He and Hannah witnessed the outbreak,” he said forlornly, while trying to recall those times of pure dread.

     Still, I could not recollect the remaining fragments of those memories of what happened that night, and as much as I wanted to bring them to mind, there was this part of me that did not want to. Probably, it’s because it was one of the most desolate experiences I had that was not worthy to reminisce.

     “Harry, we don’t have to talk about this,” he said insistently, his expression changing from being almost at elation to sudden melancholy.