Chapter 7: Hello New York City

We walked out of the plane to see a black car waiting for us. I followed Adrian down the stairs and to the car.  Nice car. The driver opened the car door for me. "Thank you," I said to him and slid inside the car. The driver closed the door and opened the other door for Adrian.

Once Adrian got in his seat, he opened his laptop and started to work again. He must be a workaholic. I let him work while I looked out the car window. Soon, the driver drove us out of the airport and into the main streets of Queens, New York City.

I had never been to New York City. The city was huge that you felt like an ant in an ant farm...from what I had heard. I really didn't have many expectations of the city. I have seen pictures the city in magazines and books. The city looked beautiful at night.

Queens looked very nice. I saw many row houses that lined the streets of Queens. Soon, we had to go through the Queens-Midtown Tunnel. The tunnel goes under the East River of New York and one of the few ways to get to Manhattan

Once we were out of the tunnel, I could see the different skyscrapers in the distance. Before we could get there, we had to pay the toll. The driver drove up to the terminal and paid for the toll. No words were exchanged.

As we drove down the streets, I could see the difference in architecture down the different streets. After a while, the buildings got bigger and taller in size. Soon, I knew that we were getting close to the heart of Manhattan.

Many people were outside walking in the streets minding their own business. They looked like busy people who are in a hurry and in a rush to their destination. They didn't really remind me of the people in San Francisco. In San Francisco, you were laid back and take time to get to your destination.

Soon, we stopped in front of a tall and large apartment building next to the Empire State Building. "We are here sir," the driver said to him. Adrian closed his laptop and packed it in his brief case. He got out of the car and offered his hand to me.

I was a bit hesitant but, I took his hand. He helped me out of the car and placed his hand on my small back to guide me up the small set of stairs. We walked inside the building to hear nothing. The place was very quiet.

We walked down different hallways until we found an elevator that didn't seem to match the building itself. Once in the elevator, Adrian pressed the button for the top floor. I watched a small screen above the buttons.

[Key Card Please]

Huh?

Adrian took a card out of his pocket and inserted the card in the scanner. The elevator processed the data in his card.

Beep...beep...ping!

[Recognize Adrian Minetti]

The elevator started to lift us to our destination that was on the top floor. I watched the screen that showed us how fast and the time that we would reach the top. I could say that the elevator was going really fast.

Through the lift, we didn't say a word to each other. Adrian seemed preoccupied with something. I could tell from his eyes. His eyes were distant. I wondered what he was thinking. Always, I concluded that it had to do with work.

After three minutes, I felt the elevator slow down. The screen showed that we were at the top floor. Once the elevator settled down, the doors open to a large bright room. I didn't think that my new home would be very big and spacious.