- Addiction 12 -

12
• • •
Maryland Summer Mascotte

Biting my bottom lip, I shook my head, "Um... No"

"Why not?"

"Because if I tell you mine then you won't tell me yours" I nibbled on the inside of my cheek, "And that's not fair"

Ahren chuckled, "You know me well" His soft grey eyes had a glint of amusement

"I guess so" I rolled my eyes playfully, running my hand through my frizzy hair, "You go first"

"You sure?"

"Mhmm" I smiled, seeing his little grin sadden

He rubbed his hands together as he contemplated about saying something, "Never mind"

"Ahren... Please" I went to touch his shoulder, but he instantly smacked my hand down

A stinging, yet a burning sensation went through my hand. I held it to my chest as I caressed it, looking down at my lap whilst mumbling an apology.

"I'm sorry" He ruffled his hair, "I don't want to talk about it anymore"

"I promise that I won't judge you because I will more than likely understand. I just, I just need to know why you're the way you are" I stated

"Okay" Ahren muttered

My ears were ready to listen, "Okay" I said

"Let me lay my head down before I start" He settled the side of his head on my lap, lightly running his fingers up and down my leg

"You're stalling, Ahren"

He sighed, "So when I was kid I would love to hang around people. Didn't matter who they were, I would talk and have fun with them. My parents would watch my brother and I as we conversed to others. So when they took Orlyndo upstairs, I went downstairs to wait. The more I waited, the more scared I became.

I would get whipped and tortured by father just for talking or for his satisfaction. It lasted for hours. But I noticed that he didn't do the same to Orlyndo, he would only beat him and mess with his mind mentally. My abuse was physical which is something different.

That's the reason why I don't let you or anybody in general touch me- I'll lose my temper. It bothers me to the point where I can't hug anyone because it burns. Till this day it still burns"

I felt droplets trickling down my thigh. As much as I wanted to rub his back to comfort him, I knew couldn't.

"It hurts to know that my own parents would do something like that to me, their child. A kid who never knew what he did or why he was being treated that way. The shit they did to my brother caused him to hate me, only because Orlyndo thought I wasn't getting beaten when in reality I was"

Honestly, I'm speechless. My tiny secret literally means nothing and right now, it's not important. I didn't care about it anymore, I care about the guy who's crying on my lap.

What came out my mouth was the only thing I could think of, "I'm so sorry, Ahren. I didn't know"

"I didn't want you to know"

"Why is that?"

"Because I would feel embarrassed"

I frowned, "Do you?"

"Yes" He hoarsely spoke

My clammy hands had nowhere to be placed, so I laid them on the cushions, "Don't be... A-Are the scars still visible?"