I Remember...

Important: Character is Female.
*~*~*

I do still remember a little from when I was younger.

I remember playing games with my older brothers, Fili and Kili, whom were only a few years older than I. They were bigger and stronger than I, but they were also loyal and protective of me, and I of them.

I remember my mother, Dis, smiling quite often. Even if she was scolding us, she would smile as we ran off, promising to be more careful.

I remember my father. His hair was long and blond, with a thick blond beard to match. It was soft and warm, and not very intricately braided. When he came home from trips, he would pull out toys and sweets from his beard for my brothers and I. We always looked forward to his return.

I remember his laugh, his smell, his smile, and how he always looked so disappointed when my brothers and I got into mischief. Yet, despite how disappointed he was, he was always firm, but loving.

I remember that one day, he hugged and kissed us all goodbye before he left for a trip, but he held us tighter and his kisses lingered longer than normal.

I remember him reluctantly leaving us and climbing onto a pony that was standing next to another pony, a raven-black haired dwarf astride it. He looked familiar, but I wasn't sure who he was.

I remember that my father turned and waved goodbye more times than usual...and I remember when the black-haired dwarf returned...but, not my father.

I remember my mother's smile fading, and her laughter becoming scarce. Sometimes, for almost no reason at all, she would start to cry. My brothers and I would ask her what was wrong, and she would always respond with a simple, "Nothing." We knew better, though; we knew she missed father, just as much as we did, if not more so.

I remember learning that the black-haired dwarf was our Uncle, Thorin, and that his visits became more and more frequent. He seemed to have become more interested in us, particularly my brothers.

I remember him taking the three of us out and teaching us to fight.

I remember him driving and pushing us harder and harder until one day, I broke down in tears and ran home.

I remember my brothers and uncle coming home...and while my brothers headed to their room, Uncle made a beeline for me, as I sat next to the fire, nursing and cleaning the wound that had been made during training.

I remember him apologizing to me, for being so hard on me, saying that he had forgotten that I was his niece just as much as I was his student.

I remember him hugging me and kissing the top of my head, just like my father did, and breaking down in tears again, sobbing into his chest, calling for my father.

I remember him allowing me to sit there, sobbing into his chest until I was calm, then took over the task of mending my arm, remarking at how I would have a beautiful scar to be proud of, once it healed.

I remember how training, after that, was different. I remember Uncle being just as hard as before, but slower to chastise us for simple mistakes.

I remember how, years later, he called upon us, and many others, to join him on a quest to reclaim our homeland.

I remember how my brothers and I bid our mother goodbye, in much the same way that our father bid us goodbye before he died. Our mother sobbed, begging that I, at the very least, stay behind, and that this quest was not meant for a young dwarf woman, like myself.

I remember telling her that my brothers needed me, and that our uncle would need all the able fighters he could get. We all promised to return home, and she gave each of us a token to remember our promise to her.

I remember meeting Bilbo, traveling through the goblin town in the Misty Mountains, and seeing my uncle injured.

I remember being captured by elves, riding down the river in a barrel, and meeting Bard in Laketown.

I remember standing by helplessly as my brother, Kili, almost died from the poison unleashed in to his body by an arrow.

I remember watching Smaug burn Laketown as we tried to get away, and Bard skillfully taking him down with a black arrow.

I remember seeing my uncle's madness, and urging him to help the people of Laketown. He had threatened to kill me if I stood against him, again.

I remember how he came to his senses and called upon us to fight.

I remember running through the Gates of Erebor and watching as Cousin Dain's army rallied to Uncle, now truly our King.

I remember trying my hardest to save the lives of my beloved brothers and uncle...and failing.

I remember returning home and delivering the news to my mother that we were the only ones left.

No matter how many times I wish I could forget everything, I cannot. It is the curse of all those that survive...we will always remember.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Author's Note:
This was a story that just kept popping up in my head, so I had to write it down.

What did you think? Remember, constructive criticism is always welcome.

I hope you enjoyed this story. I hope you have a great day and remember to be awesome to each other.

PS - Media came from a Google search of "In Honor of the Line of Durin". If you're happy, and you know it...don't Google it.