22~Fate

The woman shifted into a snarling blonde wolf. I let out a bark and clawed at her exposed stomach. The wolf yelped and sprang onto my back, pushing my small head to the ground. My wolf form streaked around her and tore a chunk of her muzzle off. Roland turned away in disgust when I spat out the flesh. I was too fast for her. My jaws clamped around her neck and tore her throat away. I shifted quickly and ignored Roland's blushing face. "Get in the car. I'm dropping you off." I gritted my teeth through the pain. "Pass me the bag at your feet, Roland."

   He obliged and looked away when I tossed on clothes. "Ezra might hurt you." he said. 

   I scoffed, "Your mate can go suck it. Did you not just see me out there? I destroyed those wolves."

   "He's not a wolf, Araceli. He's a Canus, capable of destroying packs and being a straight up asshole."

   I giggled, "Straight."

   He sighed and leaned his head against the car door. "Do you have a mate?" he murmured. 

   "Yes." I replied softly, staring at the road ahead. 

   "What's he like?"

   I swallowed. "He's an ass. Ezra would like him."

   The young wolf cocked his head to the side, "I'm sure he loves you."

   I closed my eyes for a second at the red light. "No, I don't think he does." 

   "Mates are destined, you can't go against destiny."

   "Well, he seems hell bent on doing just that."

   Roland fiddled with his jeans. "My sister had a mate. But he was already married and she saw him that day. At the altar I mean. Her mate stared at her as he said his vows." he spat bitterly. "The bride was our fucking cousin. It destroyed my sister, Lux, I saw her cry and I saw him walk to her and tell her it was always going to be our cousin. He said he loved her and their love was more powerful than a mate bond." A vindictive smile crept up his soft features. "Our cousin found her mate and dropped him like he was on fire. The mate bond won."

   My hands tensed on the steering wheel. "What about your sister?"

   Roland's blue eyes filled with sadness, "She killed herself a week before my cousin left him."

   I let out a startled gasp. "Not everyone gets happy endings."

   "Yes they do." he insisted. "My sister got the ending she chose. She always used to tell me about that. Choosing your own destiny and not letting fate rule you. All that crap. And when the time came she fell at that altar and wept. Fate won, fate always wins."

   I whistled, "We're here, out you go." 

   He rolled his eyes and stepped right into the chest of his mate. I laughed, "Roland's slightly drunk, but you are hammered." I grinned when he growled. 

   "I forbid you to see her, Roland." Ezra growled, bourbon in his large hand.

   Roland's eyes darted from his mate's to mine. My eyes widened when I saw fresh hickeys on Ezra's neck and collarbone. "Looks like you two have a lot to talk about. You have my number, Roland. Wonderful, great, gotta leave I am currently bleeding out." 

   I winked at Ezra and drove off

~

Stumbling into Vincenzo's room at three was not half as dramatic as I thought it would be. He growled loudly at me and covered Piper's nude body with his own. "What are you doing here?" 

   I laughed even as my chest hurt. His perfect body gleamed with moisture. His tanned chest was gently falling and rising in a steady rhythm. I wistfully glanced at his messy brown hair that still looked incredibly soft. My breath hitched when his tongue swiped across his upper lip. My brown eyes met his gold ones. "We need to talk, Vince."