Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

      “Julia, we, like, need to talk,” said a slutty blonde girl who I used to call my best friend, blocking my path to the longed for gym.

      “It’s Jules, and I really have to get to volleyball practice,” I said impatiently.

      “No, this, like, isn’t okay! We haven’t, like, talked in, like, forever! And I totally, like, missed you! I heard you, like, have a boyfriend, I want the dish!” she squealed, not moving.

      “Well, I want to go to volleyball practice,” I sighed, not having the tolerance to converse with her.

      “Not until we catch up,” she said, firmly stomping a heel on the floor, so that it echoed against the cold metal of the lockers. Why anyone would wear heels to school was besides the point.

      “No,” I shook my head, denying her unappealing offer.

      “Julia!” she whined.

      “Jules! It’s Jules!”

      “Fine—‘Jules’, please, I just want to, like, talk!” 

      “There’s nothing to talk about!” I laughed dryly.

      “Oh, yeah? What about what, like, Chase told me? Huh?” she demanded, bringing up a name that did spark some amount of interest in my mind.

      “And what exactly did Chase tell you?” I questioned, getting irritated.

      “Ha! Now you’re interested! Come on, we’ll, like, go sit!” she said, happy that my attention had been caught.

      “I have to go to practice,” I rolled my eyes, wondering how I had been able to handle myself so calmly thus far in our conversation.

      “Can I tell you while, like, you change for practice?” she asked.

      “No.”

      “Pah-lease!” she droned.

      “Whatever! Just let me go, and you can talk your freaking heart out!” I exclaimed.

      “Yay!” she said, stepping aside, and locking her arm with mine. I took it out, and slung my drawstring backpack over one of my shoulders.

      “So, I was, like, at Freddy Kimmel’s party, right, oh, by the way, I was totally, like, surprised that you weren’t there! You would’ve loved it! Well, anyways, I was, like, talking to Chase, and then when I tried to, like, kiss him, he turned me done! It was unbelievable! So then I asked him, like, why, and he said he was, like, waiting for you! And I thought that was, like, the sweetest thing, like, ever! So are you two, like, a thing or what?” she babbled, as I sped walked to the locker room.

      “No,” I said, entering the room, the pungent aroma hitting my nostrils right away.

      “Ew! This is so, like, gross!” She scrunched her nose up, shuddering in disgust at the locker room. “So, why aren’t you two, like, a couple? I think you would, like, look totally, like, adorable together!”

      “Tell that to my boyfriend,” I muttered, hoping that she hadn’t heard me. Evidently, she did.

      “OMG! You have a boyfriend! Name, age, hair color, eye color, social security number! I want to know!” she chattered away.

      “He lives in California,” I stated, unsure of why I was telling her so much information.

      “Oh! So, he must be, like, really tan, right?”