Chapter 13 - Prince Charming

Sleeping is good. Sleeping is great when you haven’t gone to bed in over twenty-four hours. Sleeping is my homie. I love sleeping. It makes the world look like a brighter place when it’s not so good. After you finally sleep, you look like a human again and you can smile and do your chores without the risk of killing yourself. See? Sleeping is the best.

Ellaaaaaaa,” I hear someone calling as I make my way through the halls with my cart, smiling just because I had a good night of sleep.

I stop and turn around just to find Charlie running to me and catching me in his arms immediately, making us swirl around. “Charlie, what are you doing?” I scream, trying to make him put me down. “Stop!”

“I’m so close to find your prince,” he says and all that happiness I felt for sleeping goes away.

“Charlie, not again this shit,” I say pulling back and folding my arms. “I already told you I have no in—”

“Yes you do want to know but you’re too proud to accept that you like a celebrity. I know you. That’s why I’m doing this for you. I’ll find him and I’ll reunite you two and you’ll live happily ever after.”

I raise an eyebrow at his words selection and stick my hips to one side; he blinks like nothing is going on. “Charlie, have you been reading fan fictions again?” His eyes shoot wide open at my question and I burst out laughing.

“That was one time because Michael dared me to do so!” He defends himself and that only makes me crack up even more.

Two summers ago Michael, one of our classmates and friend of us, dared Charlie to read Harry Potter fan fiction. Michael is also our gay friend and he has no problem with that, and he ships Drarry and he made Charlie read Drarry fan fictions. The outcome of this dare? Charlie spent the whole summer reading fan fictions and he ships Drarry although he doesn’t want to admit it out loud because it questions his masculinity. He is straight, just in case you doubted it, he’s just really open-minded.

“Anyways, it doesn’t come to the case, so don’t mention it. And I’m not reading fan fictions anymore! Don’t look at me like that, Arabella.” I hold the chuckles when he uses my full name. “I was saying that I will find your prince because it’s a mystery for all of us and I like solving mysteries and you have to know who he is. Plus, it’s fun! Come on, accept it.” I don’t say anything and he sighs, frustrated. “Okay, fine. But I’ll still look for him. I’m hearing all the conversations and so far no one has said anything, but I have my suspects. I’ll keep you up-to-date.”

“Don’t bother,” I tell him, but Charlie shakes his head from side to side, dismissing me.

“You’ll see,” my best friend promises in an ominous way and it’s my turn to shake my head, but he turns around and leaves in the same way he came: running.

The problem is that he does keep his promise. He keeps searching for my ‘Prince Charming’ although I don’t want to find him. He says he’s making progress but doesn’t tell me anything. I don’t accept this, but as days pass, I’m growing curious. Liv and Charlie are working together but they won't tell me whether they found him or not. Sometimes I surprise myself waiting for the news, but then I yell at myself mentally. I said I didn’t want to know, I have to be consequent.

I hate my friends because instead of helping me to forget everything about Mystery Guy, they keep talking about what happened at the ball and finding him and that makes it even harder to forget about him. I relive that night in my mind, that kiss. I still feel bad for kissing him when he had just broken up with his girlfriend, but I don’t feel that bad because I really, really enjoyed it.