Part 2 Chapter 21

Marker; 1,005,626 reads 53,049 votes!

AN; I would like to dedicate this chapter to @eternallyeden for making this amazing cover art that I'm posting here and on my other chapters 11, 20, 27 (:
——————————————————
White mist rose up from the ground below me, while I flew between the long skinny gray branches on the back of the little black dragon Deception. I leaned forward and pressed my face to his scales, like I had done so many times before, and basked in the warmth that radiated from them.My body had grown so cold during these last four hundred years, so I sought out warmth every opportunity I got. Above us the moon hung bright and full.

We passed a lone soul sitting on one of the gray trees' limbs. It watched me pass with its hollow eyes. I lifted my hand and waved and it returned the gesture, before it slipped off the branch and into the swirling mist below.

I opened my mouth and spoke without speaking, since this was a place of silence. The dead rose from the mist in wave. Deception glided gracefully to the ground, and I let their icy fingers pull me from the saddle and touch my arms,my face, and my hair, whiled they whisper about the times they were alive. I sat for a time, listening and learning, before I finally pushed myself off the ground only to be pulled back down.

"Let me up," I told them gently in their silent language.

"Someone is knocking on the other side, you're going to leave us soon," one of them replied.

Deception raised his head and looked skywards. A moment later a black hole exploded into existence, and something flickered across it, something I hadn't see in so long, color.

I looked around at the souls around me, their pale faces stared sadly back at me.

I stood and walked over to Deception and climbed on his back.

Wait!" I heard three distinct voices cry and three souls stepped forward. "Take us with you! If you are headed to war, you can use as as weapons."

"Are you sure?" I asked them, knowing fully well the weight of what they were willing to do, "It means you will never be able to be at peace.

"We are souls that take no comfort being at peace, we didn't earn that privilege in our mortal lives"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Alright if this is what you want," I said and they evaporated into mist only to condense into a tight ball that hovered just above my shoulder.

Deception unfurled his wings and his black feet lifted off the gray earth and we were airborne. He barreled through the portal and into a world of color and sound.

The first thing I did was turn my face skyward towards the beautiful blue sky that we were flying through and let the hot light of a living sun hit my face. I gently guided Deception to a soft landing among the cluster of wonderfully colored tents. Once on the deep green grass, I excitedly took in the sight of living people, who were beginning to gather around me. There was something off about these people, though. They look scared and tense, like people who had just died, or people who thought they were going to die. Actually, the air here felt not very different from the air of the gray place. There had certainly been a lot of death here or a lot of death coming soon.