32. The Lycanthropes

Mynera stepped forward, walking alongside Reginald and behind Yugger and his friend. The camp was huge, almost a bit bigger than the vampire's camp. The layout was almost similar except there was more space between the large tents and the ground was grassy instead of dirty. There was a cool breeze drifting through the camp, falling on her face and brushing her hair away. She pulled at a stray strand, trying to ignore the stares that were on them. Or rather, on her.

No one thought the sight of the vampires dressed up from head to toe to be a weird one, but a human in their midst, was. They all stared at her but instead of staring at her with shock and interest, and just a tad of hunger, like the vampires did, the lycans stared at her with hatred, curiousity, and accusation in their eyes. She met there stares one on one, although she doubted she was portraying the look of defiance she wanted. It probably looked more like fear, but soon enough, it was too late to change it. They reached what looked like the centre of the camp where a massive tent stood.

Yugger ducked into the tent, his associate standing guard outside and watching Mynera with wariness in his eyes. She waited, a bit impatiently, beside Reginald.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

She barely glanced up. "Yes, I'm quite fine. The lycans are rather ..."

"Humanlike?"

"Yes, quite so. I didn't expect that."

Thael chuckled. "They are mostly human in every aspect, except for the fact that during the full moon, they turn into raging beasts."

She glanced at the lycan at the tent flap. "Don't worry," Thael assured her. "They take no offense to being called a beast. They are well aware of what they are, just as we are aware that we are undead creatures of the night."

"They keep staring at me," Mynera murmured.

"You're a human," Reginald said. "Unlike us, they haven't tried to be aware of what is going on outside. They stay cooped up right here harbouring their hatred for humans. We try to update them sometimes but they aren't willing to listen."

"Huh. 'Tis funny that they haven't jumped me yet."

"They're merely curious as to why you're here with me."

"This Yugger needs to hurry up or else their curiousity will run out and they'll have me by the throat."

"I won't allow that to happen."

At that Mynera looked up at him. His eyes were trained on the tent flaps, waiting for them to separate. There was sincerity in his voice that made her believe him, so she pushed aside her anxiety and waited along. While they waited, the others wandered about, talking with the lycans. Soon, the tent flaps separated and Yugger came back out.

"He will see you," he announced, his eyes still on Mynera although his words were obviously directed at Reginald.

Reginald, Thael and Mynera started forward but then suddenly Yugger's arm shot out in front of her. "Not you," he growled.

"Excuse me?"

"Not you," he repeated, this time baring his teeth a bit. She frowned. Was he really being that hostile just because I'm a human? she mused.

"She comes with me," Reginald spoke up. He grabbed Mynera's arm and looked Yugger in the eye. "Please step aside. She is important."

"But ...!"

"Do I have to repeat myself?" The look in Reginald's eye could have killed. Mynera said nothing. There wasn't very much for her to say really when Reginald was taking care of it so well, even though it hurt her pride a bit. She could fight her own battles, but no way was she going to say anything right now.