Chapter 27- The Lie (Part 1)

"Camelia!"

A voice shouted far out into the distance jolting  Camelia wide awake. Laying a hand over her radically speeding heart, she breathed heavily attempting to slow the heavy thumping against her ribs. She could have sworn someone called out her name.

Kicking the confining sheet down and away from her she swung her legs to the side and stood while yawning and waited for any sounds. After a minute Camelia rubbed her eyes.

It must've been a bad dream.

Checking her phone for the time she couldn't believe it was three o'clock in the morning. When she awakens in the middle of the night, Camelia was the type that found it hard to go back to sleep. She'll have bags under her eyes by morning for sure.

Barely taking a step away and turning the feel of silk clinging and caressing the skin of her legs, it was then she noticed she was still wearing her silk robe and frowned. 

Vaguely, hovering between sleep and waking, she recalled being carried and placed gently on the bed.  She had been too tired to fully wake up to care, but she knew it was Kent.  Who else would do it?  Raising a hand she touched her cheek. Her only hope is he never noticed the tears because she could feel the saltiness dried on her cheeks.

Her hands went to the sash of the robe clung to her body, loosening it, she allowed it fall to the floor silently with an absent expression and proceeded to her bathroom to wash her face.

She was heading right back to bed when it happened again and froze.

"Camelia, Noooo!"

Camelia felt the hair on her head rise sending shivers of unease that felt like slithering snakes down her spine.

Glancing wide-eyed, her gaze snapped toward the door, she recognized Kent's voice echoing down the hallway. Something's wrong–he sounded as if he were fighting someone. 

Sprinting to her door she opens it and runs down the short distance. Although it was pitch black, she easily made it through the hallway thanks to the small built-in security lights close to the base boards against the wall—a new addition installed shortly after the break-in.

Camelia knocks frantically at the closed bedroom door. The answer on the other end was a torturous, painful moan. It sounded like someone was in there–torturing him. 

Something crashes and falls.

Camelia's fear skyrockets to new heights. 

No

It can't be...not again.

A sense of doom descends over her.  She hesitates, her heart racing, wondering if she should go in there and help him or seek a place to hide like she knew he would want her to do.  But she couldn't do it.  She just couldn't. 

Trying the knob, it turns easily. Without hesitation she kicks the door wide open, holds her breath, ready for the worst and steps over the threshold.  The darkness dilated her eyes as they adjust and focus. 

She almost sighs in relief if she wasn't so scared. 

Thrashing on the four poster bed and deep in sleep lay Kent, obviously having a nightmare and calling out her name. The light glow of the moon shines down on him from the open window allowing the cool night to blow lightly into his room.

She rushes to his side while his face is twisted in pain, his head moving rapidly, right then left. He was fighting something or rather someone in his bad dream. Camelia's heart clenched as she tentatively approached his bedside.