Chapter 29

The echoing thud of boots slapping against the tiled hallway floor reverberates off the walls, increasing in volume as the Tranqs march into the room.

"Get her," Hatchman wheezes as he slumps against the wall, clutching his chest. A deep purple bruise forms on his broken, bleeding nose. Blood drips down his face from various cuts and he scrunches his eyes in pain. I assume he has never felt such pain, apart from almost being choked to death by Ruben.

Both Tranqs stride right past me to Lia, kneeling on the floor. They grab her up by the underarms and yank her to her feet. She squeals, struggling against their grasp, but the Tranqs hold firm.

"No!" I lunge forward to snatch the child away from the Tranqs. But one withdraws his whip and strikes. I flinch backwards, but not quick enough and it catches on my arm, inflicting an angry red burn across the flesh. I let out an animalistic hiss, only casting the wound with a tentative glace.

"Where the hell are you taking Lia?" I snarl.

"Just get her out of here," Hatchman splutters, coughing up a wad of crimson saliva onto the white tiles. "I need to talk to the Red Leaf in private."

"On it," the Tranq says. He casts me a sharp glance and his brows crease into harsh frown lines.

Then both Tranqs drag Lia towards the door. She thrashes and kicks out, but the grown men overpower her. I leap forward, gripping the shoulder of a Tranq and jerk him back. "Leave her alone!" He stumbles backwards, while his comrade moves faster, dragging Lia out of the door.

The remaining Tranq glowers at me. "Crazy girl," he spits, before turning on his heel and jogging out the door, letting it slam shut.

My heart pounds beneath my ribs, and blood rushes past my ears. I whip around to Doctor Hatchman, who picks himself up off the floor. "Why are you doing this, Hatchman?"

He scrutinises me for a few beats and laughs. Blood stains his teeth and he's missing a tooth. "For science, Elizabeth. For the survival of humanity."

"I didn't think you knew what humanity meant," I say.

The corner of his lip twitches before pulling into a sadistic smile. "Follow me." Hatchman breaks into a brisk walk, striding to the door. He opens it and disappears into the hallway. My hands balling, jaw clenching, I fall into step and hurry after him, curiosity getting the better of me.

I follow Hatchman down the hallway, watching with satisfaction as his co-workers give themselves whiplash when they spot his bloodied, bruised face. They try to stop him, but he shoulders past them without a word. At last, we arrive at a stairwell at the end of the research wing. At the top, Hatchman punches a code into the door's panel. The door hisses as it cracks open, and Hatchman marches right into the room. As I follow him, I realise that we have entered Doctor Hatchman's office. The room is large, with creamy white painted walls. Black leather chairs with thick cushions face one another. A brass coffee table sits between them. He is thrown a newspaper across it and left a half-empty mug of coffee in the corner. I pick up The Concave Herald and scan the words on the front page of the paper:

Gas Explosion in Convex café. Dozens of Dead.

'A happy night of laughter became a night of terror and tragedy at Sam's Inn, a popular café set in the square of the Convex Sector. Flames engulfed the café within minutes of last night. Witnesses believe a misused gas cylinder caused the accident. Our courageous Tranquillity patrolmen did the best they could to rescue as many Convex people as they could. But their efforts were in vain. Dozens of Convex died in the flames and smoke.'

"What the hell are you doing?" Hatchman snatches the article and the paper rips in two.

"I was reading the newspaper," I say, hands balling into fists.