65. I Do

I took one last look at myself in the mirror

I took one last look at myself in the mirror. I lifted up the front of the dress and stepped into my glittery shoes, and then I smoothed the dress back down again. I had asked for just a few moments alone to gather my thoughts.  My mother peeked in and asked if I was ready. 

"I'm ready, Mom," I said, turning to face her, smiling so wide that it hurt.

"Oh, sweetheart, you are absolutely stunning. I hope Harry has something to hold on to because his knees are going to get weak when he sees you."

"Thanks, Mom," I said quietly.

Chloe popped in just then, wearing her midnight blue flower girl dress. The entire bodice was covered in sparkly material while the skirt was covered in tulle, making her look like a ballerina. The dress was cinched in an over-sized satiny bow. When Chloe first saw it, she screamed with joy.

"You look so pretty, Ellie!" She said for the tenth time since we arrived at the church.

"Thanks, bugaboo. You look beautiful." 

"Thank you," she said as she curtsied. Where did she learn that? I poked her in the tummy and she giggled. 

I stepped into the corridor leading to the back of the church and my father was there waiting. "You look just like your mother," he said, getting a little misty-eyed. "Are you nervous?" 

"Not one bit," I said with a cheerful smile. "Nothing to be nervous about. Harry's the one and I know it." 

"Well, I was actually wondering if you were nervous about tripping on the way down the aisle," he teased. 

"Harvey!" My mother reprimanded him. "Don't say that." 

"I know he's kidding, Mom," I laughed.

The rest of the wedding party was waiting at the back of the sanctuary, ready to head down the aisle, except for Harry, of course, who was already waiting at the front of the church.

The procession began with Gemma and Aiden, walking side by side, then Bridget and Ian. I couldn't choose between my two besties, so Meg and Aaliyah shared the duty as maid of honor, while Harry had chosen Kurt to be his best man since they had become quite close. Down the aisle they walked, one on Kurt's right arm, and one on his left.  

When the wedding party had taken their places near the altar, I could finally see what I'd been waiting for, Harry, and he was waiting for me. He was devastatingly handsome, and I felt I might need to pinch myself to prove I wasn't dreaming. 

Chloe had gone on ahead, scattering white flower petals on the midnight blue runner, all the way down the aisle. And then she took her seat with my mom. Dad held out his arm and asked, "Ready?" 

Everyone stood and the wedding march began. I held on to every single moment, knowing I'd only get to do this once. When my dad and I reached the altar, Harry's eyes were watery, which in turn made mine moist. Lifting my veil, my father kissed my cheek and I hugged him tightly. Then he shook Harry's hand and stepped back, very literally giving me to my husband-to-be.