Mermaid - Clint Barton x (f)Reader

Words: 1248
Pairing: Clint Barton x (f)Reader (mostly platonic)
Featuring: Natasha Romanoff
Warnings: none
Requested by @deansinkdbitch
Summary: Before you became an Avenger, you were a professional mermaid. Now, only using it as a side hobby and a destresser, you didn't make a big deal of it. When your best friend discovers this job on YouTube, he becomes mesmerized, but you still don't tell him.
Author's Note: Professional mermaids are so cool, I could watch videos of them for hours. 

*Edited*

---

He was easily your best friend. You guys had the same interests, made the same (stupid) jokes, and always seemed to know when to help, but not pry. It just worked out.

You and Clint were pretty competitive with one another, considering you both were really good with the bow. And sure, maybe the reason you decided to become friends with him was that you crushed on him, and he on you, but no one needed to know that.

Even though you said that you two told each other everything, you still had a few secrets. One being the crush, and the other being your part-time, professional job.

Sure, since being part Avenger, it was harder to find time to do your favorite hobby, but every once in a while, you were able to squeeze it in. Whether you had the facility to almost yourself, or if you were able to sneak away for a few days to fill time spots, it didn't matter. No one knew about it, and that was good- it was your secret getaway.

"(Y/N), I have to show you this thing Natasha showed me!" Clint ran into your room and jumped to your laptop, pulling open YouTube.

Professional Mermaid.

You laughed at what he typed in. "Clint, mermaids aren't real."

"Yes, they are! Just, look at this!" He was so excited, and you were beginning to worry.

You watched the video that he clicked on, hoping it would stay on more of the known performers. You acted like you didn't know what these were or what they were doing, but Clint seemed too excited to notice what your body language was saying.

"Wow, Clint, this is awesome!" You told him, screaming on the inside. Hopefully, this was the only time he would look up the mermaids.

"I wish I could do that, look at how long they can hold their breath! And how majestic they look! Like, real mermaids!" Clint was so excited. "I'm going to go show Tony; we need to get one as an entertainer for the next party." He exited without you even saying anything, and you just laughed and shook your head at him. Man, your best friend was a weird one.

Then, you realized, Natasha showed him.

You got up quickly to find her, hoping she hadn't shown anyone else.

"Why the sudden interest in mermaids?" You asked her after the conversation got going.

"Oh, I don't know." She smiled. "I thought I knew someone who was a magical mermaid."

You forced a nervous laugh out. "What do you mean?"

"Look, I may or may not have been looking for my jacket in your closet and came across something that resembled a mermaid tail." She confessed quietly. "I was curious why someone would have something like that."

"Please, don't tell Clint." Your eyes went wide, and you could feel butterflies in your stomach. "Or anyone, for the matter. Don't spread anything, please."

Natasha smiled. "Alright, I won't. Clint will probably forget about all this mermaid stuff by the end of the week."

You thanked her. Of course, you'd tell the team eventually, but right now, it was your escape that you didn't want anyone to know about; plus, you didn't want to be looked at differently.

---

A month had gone by, and you only had brought out the tail once. In fear of anyone finding out, you hid it in your closet better (even though it's not the smartest to put it in the closet), and you only swam when you were overloaded with stress, and everyone was gone. Well, Natasha was there, but she didn't care what you did.

You were training by yourself when you got the phone call.

"Hello, is this (Y/N)?" A woman's voice asked.

"Yes, can I help you?"

"Do you still do birthday parties?" The woman asked. "My daughter is having a party, and she doesn't want anything other than a mermaid; no one else will take my calls."

You sighed in your head at the question. It had been a while since you performed in front of anyone, especially since becoming an Avenger. Sure, you were able to change how you looked (the power of makeup!), so no one would recognize you, but you were still very reluctant about the offer.

"How old is your daughter?" You asked.

"Five." She responded. "It would mean so much; I'll pay you whatever." The woman offered.

You asked a few questions: when the party was, where it would be, and how long you would need to be there. When it cleared with your schedule, you smiled. "I'll do it."

"Thank you, oh my gosh, how much do I owe you?"

"Nothing." You smiled. Sure, when you first became a mermaid, you were looking for a job. But now, you don't really need the money, so why not do a small show for the kids at the price of nothing. Just to see the smiles you missed very dearly from your days as an active performer was enough.

A few days past and almost no one was in the facility, and your performance was coming up soon. You needed to practice and needed confirmation on how you looked. So, being the only one who knew, you called upon Natasha.

This had been the first time she had really seen you swim, do your thing. She didn't want to pry and force you to swim for her and ask a million questions about it. But now that you were offering, she gladly accepted.

She thought it was so cool. Your tail was your favorite color, and you wore a seashell bra to match and look good. You had the appropriate makeup on to look like the glamorous mermaid you had been for a while.

Natasha was also supposed to be a lookout, but she was mesmerized by how you moved in the water. You looked just like a real mermaid, and you were under the water for a long time!

"Hey Nat, got a question for you- WE HAVE A MERMAID?" Clint came out and ended up yelling.

And as if on cue, you ran out of time to hold your breath, so back to the surface you came. "How did that look? Think I'll be able to impress the kids..." Your eyes drifted from Natasha to who was standing beside her. "Oh...hey, Clint."

Clint was very, very confused. He thought you had tried to become a mermaid because of his interest in the videos, but then he realized- you were way too good to be just starting.

"Yes, it looked great. The kids will love it." Natasha smiled. "I have something I need to attend to...have fun!" And she ran off to leave you and Clint alone.

"You're a, what-a, how..." Clint started to ramble under his breath.

You began to explain how you had been a mermaid for a while, but it was more of a side thing. And after finally understanding, Clint agreed that it was the coolest thing he had ever seen ever.

He then proceeded to ask all the questions that Natasha didn't. "How long can you hold your breath? Have you swam with fish? How do you move in the tail? DO YOU HAVE A STARFISH? You can almost beat me at shooting, AND you're a mermaid?!"

You laughed, shaking your head at him. Maybe it would just be easier to let him accompany you to the party.