Chapter 3: The Bookworm Isn't Shy

After deciding to go to work early, I got into my car. Looking over at my phone, I noticed that I had one missed call; I saw that it was Ms. Janie and decided to call her back. “Hello?”

“You’re ready to be shadowed, right?” she asked and I felt my heart sink to my ankles. I completely forgot about that over the weekend.

“Uh, yeah, I’m totally prepared,” I lied, starting the car. I pressed my phone between my shoulder and my ear.

“Get prepared on your way here,” she laughed before hanging up. I cursed Grayson Carter under my breath, tossing my phone onto the passenger's seat. Why can’t he just drive away into the sunset on his stupid motorcycle?

I got to work an hour early and decided to spend this time preparing for the problems I’m going to have to face this week; the devil children and Grayson (who can technically fall into the devil children category if he wasn’t older than me). I remember asking my mother about his age. She laughed and teased me for a week, asking why I wanted to know. I never asked my mother personal questions about Grayson after that event, even though she told me. It wasn't worth the torment.

Luckily, today, I only have to organize books. I entered the worker’s room where we have a refrigerator, a table with 4 chairs, a couch, and a small television. I walked over to the fridge and placed my water bottle on one of the shelves. A pro about working alone during the day, aside from Ms. Janie, is the fact that I don't have to worry about anyone taking my food.

I walked up the stairs of the library, surveying the large building. Most activities are held here; girl scouts, boy scouts, tutoring sessions, school field trips to check out books that their library doesn’t have, and other activities that are based on learning. I reached the second floor where couches were set up and I slumped down onto one, taking the familiar book off of the shelf. I've been reading it for the past week.

I heard every noise downstairs, including the phone ringing and electronics working. I’m glad that the room is silent because I can’t read with any loudness. About ten minutes into my reading, I heard doors slamming and I winced.

“Anybody here?” Grayson’s annoying voice questioned. He waited for a reply. “No? Great.”

Thinking he was going to trash the library, I stood up but instead of hearing bookcases slamming to the ground, I heard singing. The singing was actually good, better than good, in fact. He continued singing Sleeping with Sirens, a band that I'm pretty fond of. Grayson is a surprisingly good singer; he’s giving me goose bumps. I slowly stood up and walked to the railing and looked down to where he was.

He was dancing around the couches. He even tripped on a chair but continued singing. He’s a good dancer, too. Is there something that this boy can’t do? The fact that he can sing and dance angered me even more, making my hatred for him grow. Why was he gifted this talent when he’s a jerk?

As he ended the song, I slowly clapped while he whipped his head around, looking for the owner of the clapping. I continued clapping and eventually, he caught my gaze. I snorted. “You heard that?”

I nodded my head. “All of it?” I nodded again. He smirked. “Aren’t you supposed to be swooning and falling to your feet, begging me to take you out on a date?”

I glared at him, my eyes narrowing. “I don’t know if you didn’t catch on, but I don’t like you, Gracie.”

“Grayson, and I caught on but it’s fun to annoy you,” Grayson replied, leaning against the bookshelf. “Besides, they always change their minds. You will, too,” he winked. I wanted to cringe at the cliché-ness of this boy. How many times was that line used in a movie or a book?