Chapter 20

Kat
February 19, 2005

*

Same day

*

Ben sighs, before standing suddenly. "I think I need some fucking air."

"Okay..." I'm not sure what to say.

I watch him make his way through the crowd, wondering what I did wrong.

Maybe this stupid plan of mine pushed him too hard... It was probably me.

It wouldn't be the first time.

When I turn back to the table, all eyes are on me.

Crap.

They didn't believe it. What do I say? 'Sorry we tried to trick you, but I'm just sick of you feeling sorry for my pathetic life'?

Probably not that.

"Holy shit, Kat!" Kai breaks the silence, throwing his arm around Barbie. "Babe, did you see that?"

"Yes. I was right here the whole time." Her eye roll made it look like she didn't care, but I knew differently. She has been glaring at me since I deleted her number from Ben's phone.

I only feel a little victorious about that.

"What the fuck just happened?" Vanessa asks in a harsh tone, her gaze assessing me, like I lost my mind.

Maybe I have.

Before I can get a word out, Luke's voice comes out barely as a whisper. "Did that really just happen?"

"I'm not really sure..." I try to act as shocked as they are, but the truth is, I'm just relieved they seem to have bought it.

I should never have doubted Ben.

"Seriously, do you some kind of power over him?" Nate looks at me skeptically. "Maybe like a love spell?"

I shrug my response, afraid if I opened my mouth I would spill the whole truth.

No powers, just a fake agreement.

Well, the agreement isn't fake, just the relationship... and what just happened. There's no way that was real.

Although, if I didn't know any better, I would think Ben was slightly relieved. What could that mean?

He was probably just relieved its over with. Yeah, that's probably it.

Then, what? Was he was mad I actually went through with it, so he stormed out?

Maybe I should have just pretended to delete the bimbos.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

I think I really screwed up.

"Are you calling her a witch?" Vanessa eyes Nate, playfully.

"What? No! I just think it's a little weird he changed all of the sudden..." Nate tries to defend himself.

"Yeah, I thought they were joking when they said Ben asked you out..." Sophie's shocked expression matches everyone at the table.

Even fake Barbie looks completely lost, although I have a feeling that's for a different reason. Anytime Kai isn't around, she's flirting with any guy who breathes...

Especially Ben.

Poor Kai. He might be a bit of a blockhead, but he deserves so much better.

"Well, you changed all of the sudden, didn't you?"  She throws his words back at him.