Chapter 1: Hi, Bro

(Linda POV)

I was at the airport, waiting for my bags. It was boring to just stand there and wait for my stupid bags. But that what happens when you move to another town to attend college. You got to bring all your things, especially when you were in boarding school for the rest of your high school life.

My parents got divorced when I was 14. After that, I hated them. I only saw them during summer, but of course not with both of them, sometimes with my mom or my dad. I stopped spending my summer with them around 2 years ago, because my best friend, Hailey started asking me to stay at her place for the rest of the summer. Her parents didn't mind it at all. She and her parents were the only ones who knew my problem and they seemed sympathy with my condition.

Her parents loved Hailey so much and I always got so envy because I couldn't have parents as nice as them.
Mine were the worst parents you could imagine. Their first fight was when I was around 7 because my mom accusing him of having an affair. They fought in front me and Brian, my older brother who was 6 years older than me. They even let out the curse words with me and Brian in the same room.

After few years, there were no fighting anymore. But when I was around 10, my mom started to scold us for something simple, like when me or Brian forgot to do our choruses, how she was so mad or even yelling us because she had stress from work.

I was never comfortable at home. Because everyday there was always my mom's yelling or scolding. I only felt comfortable when both my parents were at work. I never mentioned my home problems to anyone at school. They didn't even know I had problems at home, because when I was in school, I was cheerful and always be the funny one who made them laugh. I guessed it was true that the happiest person in the outside was actually the saddest.

My dad was ignorant kind of guy. When my mom started to yell, he would avoid her by going out of the house or stay in their room.

Maybe because he was tired of my mom's yelling everyday. Sometimes he liked to stay in my room or Brain's to chat with one of us. He actually wasn't bad but I just hated when he always avoided mom when she was mad.

The worst was when one day, my mom felt like she was ignored by my dad and started to accuse him again of having a affair. It was the worst fight they ever had. They started to argue about having affair, then it came about money, then all the things they did for the family.

My mom always made more money than my dad, because she was the head of accounting department while my dad was a regular employee. When they argued they always came about money topic about how my mom mostly bought the daily needs at home or how my dad was also worked as hard as her.

I was so sick of it. They were married and all they care and fought was only the money. They were bad example for their kids. Sometimes I felt that me and Brian were just burdens to them. I even wished that I wasn't born if it turned out that my family was like this.

After they got divorced, my parents sent me to boarding school, while Brian went to college in another town. Actually, it was kind of relieve because I wouldn't have to hear another yelling from mom. But when I got to boarding school, I couldn't adapt well.

First week of school, I was invisible and nobody would talk to me. But then I met Hailey, she was my first friend. She was a popular girl. After a while everybody started to treat me well because I was friend with Hailey. And from time to time, I started being the popular girl as well like Hailey.

For the first time in my life, I felt happy again, surrounded by my friends who would do whatever I said.

And I was still happy until I got accepted at a college which turned out to be where my brother lived now. Me and my brother didn't really talk after the divorce. He never sent postcards to me. The only letters I got from him was Christmas cards.