Chapter Thirteen

He looked fairly surprised to still see me there, staring at him. "What? Am I not allowed to visit my father?" I asked, deciding to take an alternate route. Admitting my attempted escape would only result in negative consequences.

Sage's eyes flickered, probably debating whether to go along with my bluff or to call me out. I looked at him, hoping he saw my willingness to try again with the King.

I crossed my arms, tapping my foot impatiently. "Well? Am I needed at the moment?" I snapped, the guards behind Sage looking uncomfortable on their horses. Sage stared at me for a second longer before turning to his men.

"You're all free to leave now; I will assist her back to the castle," he ordered, nodding to them. They each nodded back, hesitating but still obeying. I watched as they rode off, leaving us and the town behind.

"You are more trouble than you realize," he muttered, stepping into the house without asking. I bit my tongue, knowing now was not the appropriate time to patronize him.

"This is not as easy as you are making it out to be," I replied calmly, not allowing my anger to reveal itself.

He looked around the room, running a hand through his pale hair. "You cannot do this again, do you understand?" he asked, his tone tinged with concern.

I opened my mouth to repeat myself in a sharper tone, thinking perhaps it would penetrate through his dense skull that I would not obey his every wish and command simply because it was his desire.

But he rushed towards me and I found myself stepping back automatically, my back slamming against the front door. He had come close to me within the last second, much closer than I preferred.

The intensity in his brown eyes burned through me as they attempted to make me realize the importance of his words. "Rowan, he will harm you if he finds out about this. It may not be physically or directly, but it will hurt nonetheless. He will not take lightly to someone leaving the castle when he was willing to grant them permission to come inside. This does not happen as often as you seem to think," he explained, a desperate tone underlying his voice.

"He is not that easy to—" I started, rephrasing my previous statement. However, he caused me to stumble over my own words, forgetting my intention as his large hands unexpectedly encased my own. Their warmth travelled through me, coloring my cheeks the slightest.

"I believe in you, Rowan. I have not doubted you for a moment," he stated, his eyes on mine before they glanced at our hands, which he raised slightly. "These hands have tamed countless animals, more than you are aware, I am sure. They are capable of doing things others cannot fathom and turn away from. Your talent is much more powerful than you are giving it credit for."

I became quiet, softened by both my father's words earlier and Sage's speech. They both had an immense amount of faith in me, something I greatly lacked. My father believed I could do anything, but Sage was a mere stranger. He did not know anything about me, excluding the rumors that floated about. Yet, he still had faith in me.

"I will give him a chance," I started, my eyes momentarily leaving his. But they abruptly turned into steel orbs when I added, "I will, however, leave if he refuses to cooperate with everything I offer. And I will not be returning next time."

His shoulders dropped a noticeable inch at my words, a sigh of relief escaping from his lips, as if I had relieved him of a burdensome weight. "That is all I ask. I know he is not the easiest to approach or work with, but I believe your stubborn nature will come in handy for that. An unyielding woman is what crafts a man's heart," he murmured, and I frowned, the last sentence familiar.

It was part of a bedtime story children were told about a hardened woman and a tough man who changed his ways once he met her. There was more to it, but it was that line that I remembered more than anything.

My father used to tell me that my "hardened" nature was something that took time to get used to, but that a man would love me just as someone had loved the woman.

As if that's what I needed to complete my life.

"You are both going to lead me to my deathbed. I hope you realize this," I finally said, deciding to ignore his earlier words.

His mouth frowned deeply but I could see his eyes light up a fraction, as if the tension had drowned in the waters.

"That is only if you do not kill us off first," he muttered back and it was my turn to frown. I opened my mouth to snap that I was the least troublesome of the three of us, but he began talking before I could say anything.

"Where are your things? We should leave quickly before the King is aware of your disappearance." His voice had returned to holding its steel edge, remembering his formal manners.

Before I could respond, my father appeared from upstairs, Todd at his heels. "Don't forget this fox. We both know I am not up for sparring with him and his little spats," my father said, frowning at the aforementioned fox who had made his way to me, sitting beside my feet.

"I would never forget my little one," I murmured, Todd's dark eyes staring up at me, sensing the affection in my voice was for him. I returned his look with a small smile before my father began speaking again.

"Now, you'll be visiting again won't you, sweetheart? Soon, I hope. I've missed your company," he exclaimed and it was then I took my time to study him.

It had been a long time since I had seen him so relaxed, so free. The tired ring that seemed to stain his eyes had cleared away, leaving a shine of light. His smile seemed more frequent than rare. He even looked younger.

"Yes, Papa, I will visit as often as I can," I replied, walking towards him. His arms automatically opened, soon enveloping me.

He pressed his lips to my cheek, quietly whispering, "Do not let him tower over you, my Rowan. Your resilience is stronger than his anger. You are more than he realizes. Help him understand that."

I nodded briefly, appreciating his words. I would not allow the King to continue underestimating me. I was not a mere servant of his that he could turn away with the flick of his hand. I was much more and he would soon see that.

"We need to go," Sage said softly, his words hesitant. I frowned towards him before turning back towards my father.

"I will be back, Papa. I love you," I said, kissing his forehead.

His skin crinkled as he smiled at me, his words as joyful. "I love you too. I'll be waiting for you, darling."

Before I left, however, I wanted to make sure Sage and I were still on the same page. "The agreement we arranged between the two of us is still intact, yes? If I can tame the King, the forest will be unharmed?" I asked, examining him.

Sage looked me directly in the eyes as he answered, his expression unwavering. "Yes, I will keep my promise to you, Rowan. I have no intentions of breaking it." I nodded after considering his response, finding it to be satisfactory.

With that, Sage, Todd, and I headed back to the castle and back to where my most challenging obstacle lay.