Chapter Twenty-Nine

Malik smiles fearfully — his eyes comically widened — as he massages my shoulders, his eyes meeting mine in the mirror as I pull my hair into two secured braids. "I'm fine," I grunt, fixing the zipper on my jumpsuit.

"Ah, yes, fine," Malik nods mockingly, "That's why I stand behind you in fear as your glare pierces my very soul."

Just as I open my mouth to retort, I hear a sudden commotion in the hallway. "Damnit," I hiss, "What now?"

"You will never catch me," I abruptly hear Charles screech.

I make eye contact with Malik, before we both quickly move to my door and fling it open; just in time to see Charles hastily hobble by in a pair of Ellie's pink high heels.

"You give those back!" Ellie yells as Charles frolics down the hall cheerfully, the specially designed tight black shirt and pants really contrasting to the sparkly pink pumps. I cover my mouth as I burst out in laughter, watching as Ellie chases up and down the hall after Charles.

"Morning Pearl, morning Malik!" Charles greets as he skips past, his voice high with a feigned old fashioned British accent,

"Morning darling!" I reply with a mimicked eccentric British accent,

"Pearl, don't fraternize with the enemy! Help me get my shoes back!" Ellie orders, before grabbing my arm and yanking me out of my doorway.

As Ellie drags me behind her around the hallway, I glare at Malik who was simply laughing at me instead of helping me. And, although everyone had emerged from their rooms to stare at us, I quite liked the idea of this being my last memory of this place. It was just plain us being ourselves. We were comfortable. We were happy. It's all you could want, really.

Finally stopping, Charles laughed and caved into my side; the heels now ripped from his feet. "Guys," Lucille beckoned with a laugh, "Don't waste your energy!"

With her words, we were all sobered; Charles casual lean becoming a tight, lingering embrace that slowly grew in numbers. "Come on," I commanded finally as we all pulled away, "Let's passively construct our statements and only metaphorically kick some ass."