Chapter Thirty-Six

Alana’s chest swelled with relief at the sight that approached her, her joy at seeing Alec McLeod so overwhelming that at first, she hadn’t noticed their battle attire. He would see her back to Linden.

            Nudging his horse forward, Alec accessed her from the saddle. “Have you lost your way, milady?”
            Alana’s relief turned to dread as her eyes swept the heavily armored men. She took a step back, averting her eyes back to Alec. “What goes here?” she asked tentatively.

            A voice behind her spoke garishly, “Aye McLeod, tell the lass what you have planned this day.”

            Alana stiffened as a hand gripped her elbow and she was more alarmed by the steel blade extended from Curran’s other hand, pointed directly at McLeod.

            Alec turned his gaze upon Curran and grinned, “You plan to wield a blade against my forces, Macaulay, you alone?” his sloe-eyes wavered to Alana, “Or does the lass have a dirk up her skirts?”

            Alana’s face flushed angrily-she had once thought this man kind. Her eyes glanced at the men to Alec’s back, one slight man in particular garbed in a cloak from head to toe. She felt a fear hasten through her-surely Curran didn’t think he could best all these men on his own?

            The blade that hovered between them and Alec not once swayed.

            “I was told the ‘Fury’ was a man of his word-“ Alec spoke firstly, his dark eyes glinting harshly, “-a man known for his supposed word has broken his treaty with my father and with that-has produced an enemy of us.”

            Cold, silver eyes narrowed intensely on McLeod, “You didn’t come on behalf of your father-you came for the King. You think I don’t know of your treason, your plans to assassinate William? I was on to you before the troth was arranged.”

            Alec’s jaw tightened, “You have no proof of this.”

            Curran snickered, “One can learn a lot from raiding-villages will talk. Your sister’s betrothal to my brother worked in your favor-always aware of the King’s whereabouts.”

            Alec straightened in his saddle grinning as he motioned to the grim faces behind him. “Do you plan to kill all of us, Macaulay, how unfortunate for you that my men and I happened to cross your path.”

            Curran’s grin widened, “You fail to notice, McLeod, I purposely walked this path.”

            Alec stiffened in the saddle as the surrounding thickets rustled, the greenery shifting as men from all angles stepped into the clearing, each raising a blade as equally menacing as the one Curran maneuvered.

            Ambush.

            Alec’s men produced their swords, the air filling with a tension as thick as blood.

            Alana’s stomach clenched with alarm.

            “The odds are looking better.” Curran said smugly.

            “Indeed.” Alec chimed throwing one leg over the saddle and jumping to the earth. He pulled his sword from his scabbard and stepped toward Curran, raising it defensively. “Any man can wield a blade, but can he do so skillfully?”

            It erupted so abruptly, the sudden clashing of steel against steel broke out in flurry of madness.

            Alana felt a hand at her back, pushing her from harms way.