21

A/N Longer chapter and an earlier upload than normal!
I changed the cover for this book, opinions? Do you like the current one or the old one better?
Atleast 3+ Comments 4+ Votes for the next chapter!
I value your feedback highly! :) 
(This chapter - as with all of my published chapters - hasn't been edited!)

*****

Alec made his way back to the institute, almost running into his Father as he entered the main hall.

'Alec, I was about to come find you.'

'Had to get some air.' Alec deadpanned.

His father frowned slightly. 'Magnus Bane is here.'

'What? Why?'

'Added wards for the institute, the Forsaken attack wasn't a one time thing, we have to expect more.'

Alec nodded, following his father to where Magnus was working his magic.

'Are the wards solid now? Nothing will get through?' Robert asked as they approached.

Magnus quirked his eyebrows in amusement. 'Even my magic has it's limits. The wards won't hold off a forsaken attack, but my protection will slow them down.'

'Extra time is priceless.' Robert admitted.

'No, say that after you get my bill.' Magnus smirked at the older Lightwood.

'Lydia will take care of that.' Robert walked away leaving Alec and Magnus alone.

'A forsaken wound often needs a little warlock TLC, May I? Free of charge?' Magnus stepped towards Alec, eyeing the blood on his shirt.

'It's okay. I'm fine.' Alec frowned.

Magnus narrowed his eyes and before Alec could protest, he'd jerked Alec's sleeve up, taking in the neat stitches. 'You were with Adelaide.' Magnus accused.

Alec stayed silent.

'Alec-'

Alec sighed.

'I gotta –'

'Go? Of course, you're a busy man, and I should find this Lydia person. Payment upfront is just smart business. Where might I find her?' Magnus' eyes shined dangerously.

'I haven't seen her.' Magnus noted the odd expression that crossed Alec's face. 'But if I do, I'll send her your way.'

Isabelle watched the interaction with a grim expression, but her attention was quickly drawn to Meliorn, who had entered the institute doors.

'Meliorn? What are you doing here?'

'The clave called me in for some kind of conference.' Isabelle hugged the seelie tightly.

'I'm so happy to see you.' She breathed.

'Spare me, your fire message clearly stated you never wanted to see me again.'

'My family-'

'Despises downworlders? That's common knowledge.'

'That's not true! And even if it were, I'm not like that.' Isabelle protested.

'I'm not here to talk about us.' Meliorn's eyes drifted to the blonde that had entered the room flanked by two other shadowhunters. 'I believe that's your clave envoy.'

'Isabelle, please step aside. Meliorn, the clave has ordered that you be placed under arrest.' Lydia stood straight, speaking in a pleasant tone that didn't match the topic of conversation.