-Chapter 42-

Mrs. Porter's eyes begin to tear up, and I instantly wonder if what she has to tell us has to do with her health, but then I notice the small smile gracing her lips. She looks at Kane, her eyes full of love, and I am suddenly very excited to hear what she has to say. She reaches her small hands out to her son, and pulls his larger hands up to her lips. She sniffles, then rubs her hands over Kane's fingers. Kane fidgets, waiting for her to speak.

   "What is it mom?" Kane asks, sounding completely broken down, his voice deep and quiet. He's prepared to hear whatever is coming. My breath catches in my throat, and I find myself waiting on the edge of my seat.

   "I've found her," Mrs. Porter says, her tears clinging to her lashes. "I've found, and talked to Anya." At the mention of Kane's sister, my gaze turns to him. His eyes widen in surprise, and he throws his arms around his mother. He releases her quickly, turning to me, his eyes wet with tears. I feel tears of my own on my cheeks, and I throw my arms around Kane. He buries his face in my neck, and as his arms tighten around my waist. In the moment, I can feel just how much he is shaking. He pulls back, his smile contagious. Suddenly he dips down, brushing a feather light kiss across my still smiling lips. He blushes, turning his gaze away, obviously not having meant to. I feel my own cheeks flush a deep red, and I hope his mother hasn't noticed, but there's no way she hasn't. It was barely a kiss at all, brought about by the excitement of the moment, but it was startling.

   Kane wipes his hands under his eyes, and turns to his mother, his cheeks still a faint shade of pink. "When did you speak to her? How is she?" His excitement is contagious, and I too feel excited to hear how Anya has been.

   Mrs. Porter smiles, her eyes sparkling with unshed tears. "I spoke to her this morning. After years of trying, I finally found my baby." Her shoulders shake, and more tears course down her already tearstained cheeks. Kane moves off of the couch, and goes to kneel in front of her, taking her in his arms. Although I am the outsider in this moment, I don't feel left out at all. The joy is contagious, and the melancholy feeling of many lost years is tangible even to me.

   "And I talked to her parents," Mrs. Porter says, her head on Kane's chest. "They want us to come visit her Kane."

   "Her parents?" Kane asks, hung up on the idea of someone else bringing Anya into their family when she was taken from him and his family. "The Government put her into a family?"

   "Apparently," She says. "And they live less than a half hour away. I told him that we would come today, if that is doable for you, my son."

   "My schedule just became clear," Kane says, his smile wide and full. He turns to look at me, and I look away, not sure how to feel about the kiss.

   Kane must feel equally as uncomfortable because he clears his throat and stands, pushing his hands into his pockets. "I say, let's go find Charlie and head out now. The sooner we leave; the more time we will have to visit."

   "Do you think his sister will be good looking?" Charlie asks quietly, and I smack his arm as I press the buckle button on my lap, watching as the straps pull apart, freeing me from their binds.

   "Kane is her brother," I say jokingly, noting the smug grin on Kane's face, and the confused look that passes over Charlie's features. Kane steps out of the sleek black car, pulling me out with him. I blink against the bright sun, and look at the house in front of us. It's a white, three story home, with blue trim, and big pillars. The front door is huge, and the glass from the window sprinkles light onto the pavement we are standing on.

   I look around at the landscape, surprised to see green grass that seems to go on for miles in the back and on the sides of the house. Kane grabs my hand, his grip especially tight as we walk in silence to the stairs leading to the front door. Mrs. Porter and Charlie follow close behind, Mrs. Porter taking Kane's other hand by the time we reach the top step, and Charlie takes my free hand, not wanting to be left out. Kane releases my hand briefly to ring the doorbell, and we wait as the pleasant tone echoes throughout the large house.