Orientation

Dear Cynthia Jane, 

The HR board here at the United Center is pleased to inform you that your job application and resumé were very well written and we have the position of Head Trainer for you to take. We welcome you to the Blackhawks family. 

Your orientation starts Monday, September 12th, at 8:00 A.M. (Being late on orientation day could result in loss of your job, or temporary suspension of your position).

Welcome to the team,

Blackhawks front office staff.

"Dad!" I yell from the mailbox. He sits on our front porch holding the newspaper from this morning. "I got the job!"

I walk to the porch as he yells for Mom, who's probably in the kitchen reading her own newspaper. She comes out the screen door, looking confused. "She's part of the team", Dad says to her.

"Oh my goodness, CJ! I'm so proud of you. Congratulations", she hugs me.

"Dad, can we carpool now?" I look at him with a smile. He rolls his eyes. 

Dad is head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks. Coach Joel Quenneville. He's been the coach ever since I can remember. I go into work with him every once in a while. Help him with paperwork or stuff like that during off season, but I never really go anywhere near the ice. The team, every once in a while, shows up at our house early in the morning before practice, but I was never awake for it because I've been working till 4AM at a club for the past year.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, welcome, Cynthia, I'm Arron. I will be training you through orientation today. Do you have any questions before we start?" He stands from his desk, where a lady led me to when I arrived.

"No. But you can just call me CJ", I smile.

"Of course", he shakes my hand and gives me a smile. "Let's get started. First, we should go down to your new office and then meet your new staff, how's that?" I nod, before he leads me through the tunnels.

"Here it is", he opens the door to the training room. I've been in here a million times before. "Your office is right through here", pointing through the window on the side wall where the small office is. "All of your first aid things are here, and your training equipment is all in that closet, all organized, of course".

"How's it going with our new head trainer?" We hear a deep voice call from the main door.

Arron leads me back out into the room from my office. It's Coach Q. "Oh, sir. This is CJ. CJ, this is our head Coach. Mr. Joel Quenneville".

"Hi, Dad", I laugh. He reaches over to me for a hug. Arron is stunned.

"This is your dad.....Oh, well", he points between my father and I, with wide eyes.

"Arron, meet my oldest daughter CJ. CJ, this is Arron Louis, your new assistant. He knows the ins and outs of this place. Arron, by the way, do you have those papers I need for Crawford?"

"Yes, Sir. They should be in the bin outside of your office".

"Thank you. Well, you should get back to your orientation. Come out to the ice when you are done. I want you to meet your new patients", Dad winks at me and walks out of the room.

Arron turns to me. "Q is your dad? Like real father? He made you?"

"We don't have to be weird about it", I laugh. "Yeah, he's my father. I didn't want to get the job on who I am alone, so I changed my last name on my resume a little bit. It's happened at other jobs. This one I at least know I got it because of my qualifications, not my name".

"Okay. Well, let's finish the tour so you can get out to the ice. Do you have skates?" Arron questions as he leads me to the closet with all of the training equipment.

"Yeah. They are probably in Dad's office. But I should probably put them in here".

We finish the tour of my new work space and I go to find my skates. I have no problem finding my way around. I've been doing this for a long time. His door is open and I find them the last place I left them almost a year ago. I take them out and into the tunnels. I lace them up just before the door leading into the main stadium. Dad looks behind him, to me, as I walk out. I talk to him for a moment before placing my feet onto the ice. The guys on the team look at me, in my Blackhawks windbreaker and leggings.

"Okay guys. Bring it in", everyone crowds around Q and I. I call him Q when it comes to real professional things. "So, this is your new head trainer. CJ. Treat her with respect just like everyone else, or you will have to deal with me".

"Do you want respect, or do you want us to treat her like everyone else", one of the guys interrupts with a smirk. He winks at me. He knows who I am. That's Brent Seabrook, I've known him forever. I'm usually working with him and the other defensemen when I'm on the ice. All the other guys laugh. Q's smile goes flat.

"Oh, come on", I hit his shoulder lightly. I look around to see most of the guys faces go to worried. "It's a joke, Q", he looks at me with a small smile.

"Anyway, let's introduce you", he goes though everyone I don't know, but lastly is the captain. Captain Serious, himself.

"Of course, this is our captain, Jonathan Toews".

He looks at me with a smirk. Winking at me just a little bit. Butterflies appear in my stomach.