60- 'S - M - I - L - E'

The whole room held its collective breath during the next contraction.  As soon as the baby’s shoulders popped out; the rest of the body slipped out with no trouble at all.  Immediately everybody started crowding around Cassy and Alex to see whether it was a boy or one of the girls.

Grace was very sneaky though; and as soon as the baby popped out; she placed it, tummy down on Cassy chest and wrapped the baby in a warm, fuzzy towel.  “The baby needs to hear the familiar sound of its mother’s heart beat.”

Carefully Cassy elbowed her way up the bed and Alex helped her until she was sitting up against a pile of pillows; her hands carefully holding her child against her.  Alex sat down next to her as she lifted the baby up.

“Hey there, little one.”  She cooed as she eagerly memorized the baby’s features.  “Would you like to meet your daddy?”  Cassy shifted so that Alex could peek over her shoulder.  That was the best she could do until Grace was finished tying off and cutting the umbilical cord.  And to tell the truth; she was perversely thankful that she could use that as an excuse for holding on to her baby just a little bit longer.

The baby had his eyes open in his mother’s direction; but as soon as Alex spoke, he twisted his face towards the new voice that was also very familiar.

“Cassy …” Alex’s voice was broken; thick with emotion as he stared down at the most perfect picture any man could ever hope to see.

“Alright; now turn the baby up this way Cassy; I need to tie off the cord closer to the baby.”

Alex placed his big hands under the baby’s side as Cassy turned the tiny bundle around.  With clumsy hands he removed the towel for Grace.

A loud and angry howl filled the air as the warmth of the towel was lost.  Alex shot Cassy a quick glance to see if she heard it too, and as his eyes met hers; he knew she had heard what he had.  There was no mistaking the untrained alpha ‘tone’ of his son’s voice.

There was a ripple in the room as everybody present had practically the same reaction; first surprise; then astonishment.  Awe soon followed as they all looked at the tiny being who would one day be taking over his father’s position as alpha; leader and protector of this pack.

With no more than a slight tremor; Grace finished up with what she was doing; and the baby was a free man.  Cassy wrapped him up tightly and held him up to his father.  With wide eyes full of wonder Alex took her offering and held his son in his arms for the first time.  For a long moment he simply stared into his son’s eyes; lost to the world.  When he turned to face his brothers they had moved to stand together; and as soon as Alex turned his son their way; they bowed their heads to him.

Cassy had to bite hard on the inside of her mouth to keep herself from sobbing at their display of respect.  And unasked for as it was; it meant the world to her that they had embraced him as warmly as they did her, when she had first arrived here as a stranger; even if she did have to bribe her way with her cooking.

Grace allowed them their little moment before interrupting.  “The sooner he starts to feed; the sooner we can get the rest of the show on the road.”

Alex tenderly kissed the top of his son’s head before handing him over to his mother.  “Time to get some food in your empty tummy Tyler.”

“Tyler!”  A chorus rang out as they all said the name out loud.  Alex and Cassy had kept their choice of names to themselves all this time and they were all glad to know the name of the newest family member.

While Tyler hungrily suckled at Cassy’s breast; Grace cleaned things up a bit.

Conrad stole a quick peek.  “So; how long before my nieces arrive?”