thirty.

"How the fuck could you let this happen?" Nick snapped. He was pacing back and fourth in the waiting room, losing his mind.

For the last couple hours, I had debated on if or how I should tell him about the conversation I had with Bridget. This clearly was not a good time to tell him what her and I discussed.

"I'm sorry." I said for the thousandth time tonight with my head in my hands, still in shock. Everything was falling apart.

"Sorry doesn't explain how this happened." His palms pressed against the back of his neck.

"You would know better than I would. She got around you to get to me. He just shot her. I don't know how it got to that point. It just did. He was about to shoot me and she came out of nowhere and jumped in front of me." I explained.

"I know you're new to the family thing, but you are supposed to protect them, especially your sister. I thought that would be instinctive." He seethed.

His words twisted the knife in my chest. I reminded myself that he was just distraught and stressed.

"Enough, Nick. It isn't his fault." Nate hissed.

Police were speaking to the doctors. They had asked me everything I knew twice. I was sure the man worked for Alec, who clearly placed a target on my head. We had already handed over my home security footage from today, but Nick made sure the volume was untraceable because the man at door knew I was hiding something. I couldn't have police asking what that was.

"I'm so sorry for all of this, Nate." I said quietly.

"This isn't your fault. Abby has always felt guilty about not being able to save you on the night of the fire. You could not have stopped her from jumping in front of you even if you tried. She wanted to protect you."

It has been hours since we have gotten any information on Abby. The wait was wearing Nick down by the bit. The events of the night overloaded my mind. None of it processed. I didn't know if I should give Bridget space or what I would say if I went to see her. The only person that would have the answer to any of it was Abby.

"I'm sorry, Aiden. Nate's right." Nick murmured under his breath. A doctor came over to update us before I could verbally accept the apology.

"The bullets hit her right subclavian artery and her lung. She has lost a significant amount of blood, making her extremely weak. We repaired what we could until her blood pressure dropped dangerously because of a bleed we are trying to find the cause for. Considering how much blood she lost and how long she went without oxygen being carried to her brain, it's hard to say when or if she will wake up. If she does wake up, there is no telling how much brain damage she has or what function she will come back with. We are going to monitor her over the next few days  and see what brain activity we can find."

I felt even sicker if that was possible. Nate let his head drop in his hands. This was my fault. Everyone around me was suffering because of the mission. It all happened as if I was watching it happen to someone else.

"Do you think she will wake up?" Nick asked.

"I've seen patients is worse condition than hers wake up and make a full recovery, but I've also see patients with less severe injuries not wake up. There is just no guarantees either way at this point. The only thing we can do right now is wait. We will know a lot more tomorrow. I suggest going home to get some sleep." The doctor answered bluntly before walking away.