Chapter 21: Fine Establishment

How was everyone's Fourth of July is you're from the US? Mine got crazy xD more info after the chapter.

Chris's POV

"So how was school, kid?" I asked, as we drove down the main city road towards my penthouse.

"It was good. Aria has me starting a new painting project. Timmy cried for his mommy again. My free time was fun, I got to hangout with Jake on the blacktop. Uhm, I caught you and Aria doing the dirty-"

"Please, refrain from ever saying that in my presence." I shivered, as my kid in the passenger seat started to giggle uncontrollably. I was definitely starting to question my parenting capabilities.

"So... Will Aria be my new mommy? Because I'm okay with having two mommy's." Nick nodded, as he ripped open a pack of gushers from his lunch pack that he forgot to eat.

"Let's see where everything goes, kiddo. How about we order some pizza tonight? I know you might rather not suffer through my cooking." I joked as I pulled in to the underground parking.

"You're cooking isn't as bad as mommy's actually." Nick smiled, as some gooeyness from the gusher slid down his mouth.

"Thank you, my beautiful son. Clearly, I have done something right." I smiled back at him as we got out of my car.

~

Aria's POV

Jesus, finally. I sighed, as I finished hauling all the canvases into the back of the beaten up rental car. I now had to spend the rest of this week grading and putting together an exhibition for the festival this weekend, yet I had no idea what to do about it all. Not to mention, I didn't necessarily want to ask Sarah for help until her and Chris figured out whatever the hell happened yesterday.

I'm choosing not to be apart of that mess.

My stomach rumbled aggressively as I slid the key into the ignition. Maybe I would try to find a place to eat first before all this grading.

~

I pulled off another dirt road, and knew for sure, I was officially lost.

This is what happens when my bitch ass self wouldn't settle for some fucking pizza.

I glanced down at my gps on my phone again. It claimed that there was a Chinese restaurant further down this "road," but all I saw was largely overgrown trees and what looked like a trail made by two cars passing through.

As I drove further down, a small building finally came into view. It looked like a small Japanese temple, that was completely secluded by overgrown forest trees on all 3 sides besides the pathway/ "road" that lead to it. I pulled the car up besides the road so I wouldn't block any other cars that were trying to pull into the restaurant, but as I looked around, I noticed there was no cars around the area. Yet the neon OPEN sign continued flash, indicating the building was open for business.

This was it, wasn't it. This was where I was going to die. All because I couldn't settle for Jimmy Johns or something.

I sighed, climbing out of the rental and locking the doors before heading towards the entrance. My hands reached up to open the doors, but before I could touch the handle, the door was swung open. I stumbled back a bit, unprepared, as I was greeted by an older Asian woman. "Hello." She spoke, as she stepped aside to let me in.

As soon as I crossed through the doorway, the smell of fried noodles and orange chicken instantly hit me, but as I took a look around, I was blown away by what I was seeing.

The architectural design was so much more than what I had ever seen. Somehow, this small exterior build, looked much larger on the inside.

There were different sections of the building, all with each individual places to sit at and eat. The tables were authentic Japanese style, low. Accompanied by cushions to kneel on. "May I grab you a seat?" The lady asked as she followed me into the building.

"I- yes, yes thank you." I forced out, as I stood speechless at how beautifully detailed everything was. She walked quickly ahead of me, towards one of the secluded sections, and placed a set of chopsticks next to the already laid down cutlery and wine glass.

What struck me as odd is, she didn't place a menu down as well, before she left me to get situated.

I knelt down on to the cushion besides the table and began to sip on the complimentary water glass. Within no time, a cup was placed in front of me, with a small pitcher and a tea bag. As I glanced back, I could just barely make out the woman's back before she disappeared around a corner. I glanced back down at the cup hesitantly, before I though, fuck it.

The tea sachet bore no label, yet it smelt like a mango passion fruit blend. Oddly, my favorite kind of tea.

I placed it in the ceramic cup and poured the hot water from the pitcher before letting the tea bag infuse. She never brought out any sugar or honey, but that was fine, this was the way I liked it anyways.

My mind involuntarily traveled back to the events from earlier today as my eyes drifted closed. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my cheeks. My thoughts began to slur as the peaceful music continued to play.

Was there music playing when I entered? I couldn't remember.

I was pulled out of my tranquility by the smell of great food as it intoxicated my senses. As I opened my eyes, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. An entire meal had been laid out before me as I had my eyes closed, when I glanced up, I noticed the lady was sitting down across from me. She looked much younger than what I had initially thought when I first came in.

"I didn't want to disturb you." She explained, her voice soothing as she broke her pair of chopsticks.

"Who are you? What is this place?" I asked, tearing open my packet of chopsticks as well. I was silently hoping all this food wouldn't kill my savings, because this looked hella expensive.

"This place was converted from a small Buddhist temple, to a restaurant, around 25 years ago. We haven't had a visitor in quite sometime, so please, enjoy. The meal will be on the house tonight." She nodded, as she began to dig in.

I'd never had a member of the staff join in for a meal with me before, but as soon as I tasted that first bite of the yudon noodles, I started to care less and less.

This food was spectacular.

I hadn't even ordered it, yet, it seemed as if this meal was the meal that I needed right this minute. I wasn't sure how I had come across this place, but in the seconds I had been here, I couldn't even remember why I was being so stressed.

I glanced down at the small napkin that was placed under the drink. It read:

The Secret Garden.

---------------------------
So my 4th of July was actually great. We watched fireworks over the lake in some lit up paddle boards! Hope you all had a great weekend 💞 first day off in a while so hopefully, I'll get some more uploads going.