Burning

"Woo! That was some intense studying!" Stretching my arms and back, I break out into a big smile

"Oh, how about you stay for dinner, Shouto?" My mother pops up from inside a cabinet that was under the sink as if it wasn't abnormal to be in there in the first place.

"Mom, were you there the whole time?" I question.

"Maybe..." Her eyes began to frantically search the room, but not one was found.

"...Your mother is weird, (Y/n)." He leans over to me and uses his hand to block the words he was saying from her. I nod aggressively in agreement.

"So, how about it, Shouto?" She places her hands on her hips.

"I'm sorry miss, but I wouldn't want to burden you. It's fine." Closing the textbooks, he stretches his body as well.

"Oh stop it. You're far from a burden. I love company in my house." My mother closes her eyes and waves her arm at him.

"Well, I guess I can stay."

"What are you making, mom?" Turning my attention to her, I waited for her answer.

"Hm? I'm not making anything right now." She lifts her brows.

"Then what's that burning smell?" Todoroki diverts his attention to the kitchen, where he sees smoke emerge from there.

"Your kitchen is smoking..!" He shouts.

"Smoking hot? Oh trust me, it's far from good looking." My mom replies.

"No mom! He means that something is burning!" I facepalm. I wonder how she is my mother sometimes.

"Oh-WHAT?!" She frantically grabs the fire extinguisher that was laying nearby. "MY POOR BABY! DON'T WORRY KITCHEN! I'll SAVE YOU!" After blasting the oven and the entire kitchen with the fire extinguisher, the smoke detectors went off.

"Oh come on! Todoroki, could you help me? I'm too short to reach them." Grabbing a notebook that I used for studying, I walk over to the smoke detectors and desperately tried to reach it by jumping. I hear Todoroki snort a bit.

"You really are short."

"Cracking jokes, eh?" I shake my fist at him. "That doesn't seem like something you would do."

"I do it sometimes. You just need time for me to warm up to you, you know?" He wraps his arms around my waist and hoists me up so I am able to reach the smoke detector. A bit of strain could be heard in his voice.

"You're saying that we aren't friends yet?" I puff out my cheeks.

"...I guess." Still elevating me, Todoroki replies.

"Oh, that's good. Yes! It turned off!" I stopped waving the notebook below the smoke detector.

"What do we do now?" Todoroki places me on the floor.

"Pizza...?" I sheepishly laugh.

"Sounds fine."

<><><><>

"Bye Shouto! Come back anytime!" My mom shouts from the other room.

"Goodbye, Todoroki. I assume that you're coming over tomorrow as well?" I walk with him to the door and awaited an answer as he puts on his shoes.

"I suppose I can. You're not that bad of a study partner." Todoroki says as he slips on his right shoe and ties the laces.

"Really? I don't really think that.." I scratch the back of my head and sheepishly smile. "I was surprised when you asked me to be your partner."

"Why don't you? You're smart." He slips on his other shoe.

"I don't really know." I drop my arm and let it dangle at my side. "It's just a habit to think like that. You know, being modest or humble."

"You shouldn't do that. See ya later, alright?" Twisting the knob of my door, he opens it slightly and turns back to look at me.

"Right!" I flash him a smile.

And with that, he exits my house.

<Chapter Revised>