Chapter 32: Darkest Nights

Louis and I chose to not tell anyone about the break in. Given that nothing was taken of his, it wasn't something the media needed to be talking about all over the internet. But the fact that the only thing taken was my book, we decided not even the cops should be alerted. When I saw that book in the library, I knew it was worth something. If we reported it, the police would ask where I got it from. No way would they believe that some French lady just handed it to me for free. For all I know, she could've been just getting rid of the evidence that she took it herself. Either way, it was best to just forget about it. The book wasn't mine in the first place; I could survive without it.

But the real question was: why would someone take it? It's not like they could turn it in for money; the police would catch them in an instant. Also, how did this person even know that I had it? I haven't been waving it around and even if I was, could they tell that it was priceless?

"Em, stop worrying. We're almost to New York." my eyes opened quickly at the whispering voice that filled my right ear. I turned and saw that we were still on the plane and it was now morning. The robbery had been weeks ago and, as if it never happened, our group was back together for the American leg of the One Direction tour. Just like the police and the media, we had chosen not to tell the boys and Marlee. We figured they wouldn't care much, except for who it could've been, which even the police have trouble figuring out.

I took out my phone from my back pocket and set my headphones back in my ears, quietly playing The Killers. Of course, I only got through three or four songs when we were instructed to put our electronics away and prepare for landing. "So what's your opinion on New York?" I asked Louis. He smirked and thought for some time. "Lots of people, good shopping, good food, lots of people, oh and cold." he said and I laughed. "Well I'm excited, either way." I smiled and he agreed, slowly grabbing my hand and bringing it up to his cheek where he held it through the landing.

Arriving in New York we were greeted with a blanket of white covering the tall buildings of the city. Growing up in England, I was used to snow and most would think I was tired of it. But actually I loved it, probably more every year. It was cold and wet and made for trouble on the highway, but it was also great for snowball fights, Christmas, and cuddling next to a fire with hot chocolate. Okay, the last one was kind of lame.. but you get my point.

The terminal was full of teenage girls screaming for the boys, but also with plenty of security guards to keep them a good distance away. The boys did their thing and waved while Marlee and I tried to keep walking without loosing the boys completely. All of a sudden, I heard someone yelling my name. No, I'm not bragging about my fame, but I did perk up a bit when I heard that.

Too bad it was just my dumbass best friend.

"Jemmie? What are you doing here?" I yelled at her over the crowd of girls. "Just trying to figure out if the fangirl life is for me." she shrugged and smiled at me. Marlee and I both laughed as we got one of the security guards to let her through to us. "So how's New York been treating you?" I asked her as we walked out of the terminal, the boys following as slow as ever. "Great. School's been good and I've made the occasional friend."

"No boys?" I asked her, surprised with my own best friend. "Oh there have been boys, but none worth speaking of." I took that and learned that I would have to help her with that later. But for now, all she seemed to want to talk about was my around the world journey. I told her of Paris, Italy, the premiere, Australia, Canada, and Spain as those would really be the only ones she'd get interest from. As I told her the stories, Marlee helped me add stuff in, including her engagement. When I reached just a few weeks ago when we went to Canada, I realized that it had been months since I had seen her and just a few more months until I'd be back at home for good.