09|PAINT ME BLUE

The boat was rather old. The exterior of the white metal was rusted to a very vibrant burgundy. Paint peeled and blistered like a bad sun burn, the noisy vibrating engine rattled the ship every so often and everything that wasn't strapped down moved a few inches over. The deck was factored with life boats on damaged chains and a few chairs for the soldiers to leisure on when they had the chance. Every room had the same groupings of bunk beds, circular windows and shadows of waves relentlessly slapping the glass. All the rooms looked like that, all but the first level, closest to the kitchen.

Howard Stark was a very rich man, he was loaded with money and brainpower that he was trying to outstretch to the entire world. As if he wasn't known enough, he made sure that the agents working for the same company as him had a comfortable ride. Gleaming chandeliers hung from the ceiling of the first level and walls painted white sparkled in the incoming sunlight. If this was the life of an agent, what was the life of a soldier?

Ally ran her hand over a sturdy bookcase, filled from top to bottom with hardcover novels, all she planned on reading. "Do you always ride in this luxury?"

William nodded, taking a sip from a cocktail he had received from someone inside the kitchen. "I suppose you think this isn't fair."

Ally shrugged. "What do you think?"

"The SSR is made up of some of the world's greatest people. You for example, are helping Erskine with a serum that could win this war. Each member brings something to the SSR, Jojo and I are agents. We protect the information we receive and go on missions to try and get more knowledge of things the SSR is working on. " William explained. "But I do agree with you, the soldiers deserve a room of this kind."

"Then why do I need a gun if you protect us?" Ally blurted, hoping she didn't come off as too curious.

"You're never really protected Ally, not really. This is still a war and people still die."

Ally shook her head, her hazel locks covering her face. "And it is all because one man believes he is superior to others."

Jojo opened one of the doors leading into a bathroom, causing both William and Ally to stop talking. "Oh don't stop talking on my account, I love hearing you too bicker."

"We don't bicker!" William defended, smiling as his wife came and sat beside him. "We have very interesting conversations."

"We do," Ally nodded, picking up a random novel from the bookcase and walking towards the entrance. "I'll be looking for Bucky if anyone needs me."

"Wait!" Jojo called, hurriedly running towards her younger sister. She pulled out a small medal, pinning it to her sister's dark green blouse. "I don't want you telling anyone your full name, do you understand? If they already know you as Ally Jones, so be it but Alchemy stays unknown."

"Doctor Jones, serving as a nurse for the 107th unit," Ally touched the cold medal with her fingertips. "Was that good?"

"Very, you should be an actress," Jojo chuckled, stepping back and letting Ally leave. "Dinner is at six o'clock sharp, don't be late! Make sure Bucky is with you so William and I can convince him to join the family."

Ally muttered something under her breath before waving farewell to her sister and leaving her golden quarters. She walked towards the room of howling men, shirtless and wreaking of smoke. Their quarters seemed to be rather dirty and— overall boyish. Men and boys alike joked around, dealing cards and play fighting as if trying to prove they'd be boss of their unit one day.

She couldn't help but shake her head, they all seemed so lively and in less than six days, they'd be preparing for a battle they may not win. Despite her small sympathy for the soldiers, she did receive many whistles and rather unnecessary comments as she walked through the corridors. She usually kept her eyes straight but one boy in particular caught her attention.