Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Bliss narrowed her eyes at Clint. She could use this opportunity to get some answers she wanted out of him.

“Tell you what, I’ll tell you what you want to know about Seth if you’ll answer a question for me. Sort of an exchange?” She asked.

Clint leveled her with a suspicious look, making her regret asking the question.

“What do you want to know about me that’s so important?” he asked her.

“How you became a gunfighter?” Bliss blurted. She already got herself into this mess; she might as well follow through.

Clint groaned and began walking back to camp. Bliss hurried to catch up with him.

“Why is that so important to you?” Clint asked her.

Bliss had to walk fast to keep up with his long strides.

“It’s not. I’m simply curious about what made you the way you are,” she answered.

“The way I am? What exactly is the way I am?” Clint asked, glancing over at her.

“Well, you’re secretive and you refuse to talk about anything personal. You’re like a big, emotionless brick wall. Something had to have made you like that,” Bliss stated her thoughts.

“Did it ever occur to you that I like being a big, emotionless brick wall?” Clint lowered his voice as they neared camp.

Bliss rolled her eyes. “I don’t know why I’m curious about you, but I am. I feel like there’s something about you that… that…”

No matter how hard she thought, she couldn’t find a word to go on the end of that sentence, couldn’t put her finger on what Clint Slade’s hidden character made her feel.

“I will tell you one thing about life, Miss Cooper, and that is that you’ll be a lot better off if you hide a thing or two. People can’t be trusted with every part of you. Nothing can,” Clint told her, a hint of sincerity in his voice.

Bliss couldn’t say anything to that. He was right, and that was exactly why she wasn’t disclosing any information about Seth Ryder.

Not yet.

*****

Grace knelt beside her bed that night, the light glow on the bedside table shining a dim light over the hand-sewn quilt and open Bible in front of her. Romans 8:26 and 27 was underlined with a pencil on the yellowed page, speaking of the countless tears that she had shed over the ones that she loved so dearly. Clasping her calloused, worn hands and resting them on the edge of the bed, she took a deep breath and reread the words over again in a hushed voice.

“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”

A sigh escaped her lips and a peace filled her heart as she prayed to the Lord.

“God, you know the worries that I have about Sherman and Bliss. I’m afraid for their souls. They think they’re hiding so much from me, but they’re only deceiving themselves. They need to believe in You again. I know they used to a mighty faith in You, but I don’t know what happened. They’ve been broken inside in a place that only You can see, and I’m begging You to work in their lives. Use me, Lord. Please, I just want to know that they are where they belong. Take away everything that separates us so that I can be molded into the witness that You can use. Be my guide. Be my hope. Be my words, my thoughts. Be my… everything, Lord. Give me a heart that desires You first in all things. Please keep those kids safe out there tonight and bring them home safely. Give us all a good night and peaceful dreams. Through Jesus Christ I pray, Amen.”