Gylden House

There was a soft knock on the door to the infirmary, where Zia was still lying in her bed, slowly but surely regaining her strength. She had been awake for five hours now, and within that time Link had explained to her about her leg and the risk that it could become unusable. Zia tried not to feel a sense of dread when he talked about it, but it was difficult.

Link's head shot up from a book he was reading at the sound at the door and called in his high voice, "Enter!"

The door swung open and a tall, elegant woman stood in the doorway. Her long brown hair was draped gracefully over one shoulder, and her royal purple gown gave her a look of both beauty and authority.

"Your Highness," Link said, his squeaky voice higher than normal. "What brings you here? Ah, I mean, to what do we owe the pleasure? Of course being in Your Highness's presence is always a great honor, of course, but I can't help wondering-"

"Link," said the Queen. Zia heard the smile in her voice as she continued, "I hope I'm not intruding."

"Intruding?" Link repeated in the same high voice. "Never, Your Excellency. I am wondering, however- that is, when I say 'I' I really meant to say Miss Zia and I, I'm sure- what brings you into this part of the castle? Not that I don't like this part of the castle," he added quickly. "No, I love it here. Beautiful view of the servants whisking about and-"

"Link," Queen Fraya said, her eyes twinkling with laughter. "I was wondering if I could speak with your patient for a moment? That is, if she's feeling up to it." Fraya's eyes wandered the room until they fell upon Zia, and did Zia imagine it, or was there a flash of... something in the Queen's eyes? What was that? Fear? Shock? Surprise? Zia shoved the thought from her mind. Her fever hadn't broken yet. She must be imagining things.

"Of course," Link squeaked. "Of course. Let me pull you up a chair!"

"Actually," she said, not looking at Link, but at Zia, "I was hoping to speak with her in private."

"As you wish, Your Majesty!" Link said. He showed the Queen into the room and told her, "If there are any problems while I am out, please do let me know, Your Grace," as he made his way towards the exit.

"Of course," the Queen said, and Link bowed deeply, his nose nearly touching the floor, as he shut the door.

Zia's throat went dry. The Queen made her way over to Zia's bedside and just gazed at her for a moment. Zia took this as an opportunity to do the same. The Queen had hardly changed since that day long ago when Zia first met her at Daxtor's trial. Her brown hair was streaked with silver and the wrinkles around her eyes were more prominent. But the most unchanged thing about the Lady Fraya was her eyes. They were still the same blue-green color they had been when Zia first saw her.

Zia remembered the feeling of familiarity that she had felt when she first met The Queen, and she felt that same pulling sensation now. She couldn't explain it any more than she could explain why the sky was blue, but it was just as much of a reality.

They sat in silence for a long time before the Queen said quietly, "You look so much like her."

Zia felt confused, but did not speak. She just stared at Fraya, wondering why she was here.

"When I first saw you I thought they were hazel," the Queen continued. "That's why I didn't suspect anything, but now... But now I see that they truly are gold. You do look so much like her. Every bit the beauty that she was. And the last time I saw her..." The Queen's voice faded away and a misty look come over her face, as if she were looking far into the past.

My eyes, Zia realized. Lady Fraya is talking about my eyes. And, apparently, someone I remind her of.

Finally, Zia spoke. "I don't mean to be rude, M'Lady, but what are you talking about?"