Chapter Seven

Bruises.

Oh yes, by the end of this training session, Iris would be covered in bruises. Even though Iris was in a significantly weakened state because of the whiskey, Hench showed no mercy. Not that Iris had expected her to.

Today, Hench went over some footings that the rogue could barely grasp through the haze of her still-pounding headache. Even still, she found that she did, in fact, learn a little from her mentor. Perhaps she would be better at getting through Hench's speed now.

Better was the key word there. She hardly stood a chance against the guardian. She'd have to practice day and night for weeks and weeks to even hold a candle to the mighty woman. Maybe more. In the midst of their last spar before lunchtime, Iris decided she would do just about whatever it took to impress her mentor. Maybe it was a pride thing... but still.

By the time she hit her guardian trials, she wanted to be worthy.

Iris lost the spar after a few minutes. In fact, the moment Hench won had been so quick, Iris hadn't known she'd lost until she was on the ground for a few moments. She could swear she was seeing stars above her head. Placing her palms to her temples, the rogue took many long moments to catch her breath.

Hench knelt over her as she'd done every time and ensured that the girl was alright.

"I'm fine," Iris grumbled and sat up. Even still, Hench rested a hand between her shoulders to steady her. Iris slacked a bit against her arm, allowing herself to shamelessly recuperate from the blow she'd been dealt. At this, Hench chuckled --a low, rumbling sound that emanated from her chest. Iris cast her eyes to her mentor.

"There you go. Take it easy for a minute. Don't want you falling over, now." The woman's low voice was soothing to Iris's ears. "We are done for now, girl," Hench said. "If you are hungry, lunch is being served this hour."

"I'm not," Iris replied. "I feel too sick to eat right now, I think. And too dizzy, for that matter." Even though her head spun incessantly, Iris still managed to get to her feet. "But I shall take a break for lunch hour --may even take a nap. Whatever it was I drank last night really hit me, seemingly."

Hench's mouth raised a corner. "I know. I helped Possum take care of you last night. You were in quite the shape."

The comment almost scared Iris. She hoped to the gods she hadn't failed some sort of test already --hell, it was only her second day here at the monastery. She tried to discern the guardian's thoughts and motives by judging her expression but couldn't find any surface emotion in Hench's eyes. So the woman had learned to disguise that as well, perhaps. Or maybe Iris was overthinking all of it. She hoped she was. Then, her mentor raised a brow at her.

"Did you know him well before?"

Iris had to think about the question for a moment before answering. It didn't take her too long to figure out that Hench was probably talking about Kayde. After all, he was the only person Iris had talked to in length aside from her mentor since she'd arrived.

Iris nodded and then spoke. "If you're asking about Kayde Vorantis... yes. I've known the man since I was very young. Since we were very young, actually. My aunt and mother were good friends with his mother for a very long time." Iris wanted to add that their families had been closer before her mother died, but decided to leave that little aspect of her life out of the conversation for now.

Perhaps there would be a more appropriate time later to divulge deeper information about herself --another time when she'd known Hench for longer than a few hours.