42nd Chapter ♣ The Reflection

A/N: Picture above is Valeriana's look for the night.

"It is currently the 6th month of the seventy-eighth year since the start of King Laedin's reign."

Chapter Forty-Three ♣ The Reflection

Valeriana felt anxious about having to meet Valemnia's current monarch. The whole day, she spent nothing but thinking about what she was supposed to do.

Despite of the anxiety for the upcoming dinner with royalty, Valeriana also had yesterday prodding the corners of her mind. The way Charles and Tamara acted last night was totally out of their character. She wanted to ask the two of them about it, especially Charles, and see if she could get them to talk. But, with the current situation at hand, it was impossible.

When the time came that Valeriana needed to get herself prepared, all the girls—including her only girl aide—rushed to her side in order to help. They all looked excited that they rivaled Valeriana's enthusiasm. Deciding not to question their behavior, she silently went along with how everything went.

Tamara's room was, as expected, grand. It was luxurious and was slightly larger than Valeriana's. She had a round canopy bed dressed in velvet duvet and walls covered in shelves of books that it could rival the library.

Still, it was nothing girly.

Shock was an insufficient word when they saw her walk-in closet. Now this was girly. Half of the entire room was filled with intricately decorated ball gowns, casual dresses, formal dresses, and more dresses. Her collection made all the girls scream. They felt sorry they weren't being used.

Valeriana saw a red dress from the corner of her eyes and pulled it out. There were frills running down from the right and it was laced with ruffles and black trimmings, emphasizing the crimson. Even so, she put it back since it was low-cut, not to mention a bit puffy.

"What kind dress do you think will suit Valeriana?" Genevieve asked, holding a pink, bejeweled gown in her arms.

"Hey, guys! Take it easy! I'm not going to a party or anything."

They didn't even glance her way.

"I think something with those gold curly things," Aneeka answered.

"This?" She pulled out an insanely gold dress from top to bottom.

"What? No! That's too much!" Aneeka shook her head furiously at Genevieve's suggestion and pushed the dress back. "I said curly things! Not an overly golden gown! Are you insane?"

"Ah, I see." She nodded.

"Then why don't you try this one?" Elfre suggested as she pulled out a gown from her side and held it out for them to see.

The gown was sky-blue and, like Aneeka wanted, had small embroideries sewn on the fabric with a golden thread. Those designs were on each side of the dress. The front was decorated with small, glittering jewels arranged to make up shapes. The fabric was made entirely of fine silk smooth to the touch. The simplicity of the dress' design made it look all the more pretty.

"Elfre!" Genevieve squealed. "You are a genius!"

"So, it's the one?"

"It's the one!"

Quincy had, once again, drawn a bath for Valeriana to take. They readied the gown on Tamara's bed and dragged the girl to the baths to scrub off any dirt that clung to her skin.