Nine: Boredom

"The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives." -Albert Einstein

"Agh! I'm so bored!" whines Carl as he lies with his feet up aganst the wall and his head on the floor. He's currently busying himself with a piece of lint above his face, he keeps blowing it to keep it in the air. Fun, right?

So we skipped school. Great, but now what? Well considering we're losers, we really wouldn't know. As of now we're locked up in Carl's room since he's scared to death his mom might come home and catch him playing hooky. We could go to my place, but he was afraid that might look wrong to my neighbors. Apparently a boy and a girl going into an empty house alone during school hours isn't the best impression.

So yeah, since Carl lives in a rural area, like I'm talking back woods middle of nowhere, he's pretty sure no one would care here. This kinda sucks though, since now we're confined to his room alone, and he has nothing to do! I mean the boy doesn't even have a computer in his room.

"Whining about it is not gonna help," I grumble crossing my arms. I'm positioned at the foot of his bed with my back leaning against it and my legs are sprawled out in front of me. I don't even have freaking lint to keep me busy! I should be the one whining.

"Yes it does!" he yells, turning on me suddenly and propping himself up on his elbow sending me a very convincing death glare. As a reaction I give him a surprised reaction.

"No it doesn't! It only makes it worse!" I reply then, sending him my own death glare. Oddly enough he seems almost... pleased with my reaction.

"Does, too," he says then, childishly might I add. This then causes me to roll my eyes, he's such a kid! Seriously I've known him since he was little and all that's happened is he's gotten taller. His personality and thought patterns are still those of a twelve or eleven year old.

"Does not, now shut up," I say with finality.

Next thing this nut case does, he pouts! I mean full out puppy dog eyes and jutting out lower lip pouting! What the hell is he pouting about? Seriously I think the confined spaces are driving him stir-crazy!

"No! I wanna keep arguing! It's entertaining!" he finally wails, falling back on his back he pounds his fists on the floor and kicks the walls with both feet. All while also pretending to cry like a toddler throwing a tantrum!

"Carl!" I scream over his hissy fit. No response whatsoever to my call, he just keeps going. I roll my eyes, massaging my temples. It's like dealing with a three year old.

Now I'm not so sure if it was worth skipping school for this. Sure I might be facing humiliation and defacing right at this moment, but is that really worse than a whole day in a room with Carl? That's a really tough question.

Carl continues screeching and ranting as my mind wanders to the pros and cons of the current situation in comparison to the possibilities of the alternate choice. Hm. These are some pretty deep "what if's" for me. Normally I don't like thinking about what could have been, and like to instead focus on what did. Still, it's better than sitting here listening to Carl.

After about, oh I'd say around three or so minutes, he stop his routine. Like a button was pushed, he stops screaming, turns into sitting position, stands up in one fluid motion and as if nothing at all happened, gets up and walks to the door of the room.

"Where are you going?" I question absent minded, still pondering possibilities, by now I'm used to his antics so this sudden mood change is relatively normal... to me.

"I'm hungry," he states sounding frustrated with himself, like he's blaming his stomach for need food or something.

"Same here," I say in agreement, patting my tummy for emphasis. He watches my movement then looks to him then back to mine.

"Does this shirt make me look fat?" he asks suddenly, I mean seriously totally out of the blue, even for Carl.

"No..." I answer, quirking my eyebrow to let him know he's totally lost me on this one.

"Okay," he answers with a shrug and walks out of the room, with me now tagging along confused the hell out of my mind. Seriously, what?

"Wait, why do you c -where did- why do you even care?" I finally get out to ask him. At first my only answer is a shrug as he casually strolls in front of me, apparently not thinking anything of his random not to mention girl-like question.

Grabbing his elbow I pull hims back to look in his eyes, "Carl? Seriously."

Shrugging again he states, "I'm just trying to make conversation, it was the first question that popped into my mind, this boredom is so bad for me...what do you want to eat?"

Letting him go, I shake my head not wanting to even continue the conversation. This boy is a real trip, for real. One minute he's going uphill next thing you know you're falling on your face cause he lead you into a hole. Wait... does the even make sense? Oh whatever, this is what happens when you spend too much time with my psycho of a best friend. Nothing makes sense anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love him to piece and bits, but sometimes...

"What do you want to eat?" he asks me again this time poking me in the stomach with each word, as we're now standing at the foot of the stairs facing each other. Shooting him a scowl, I try to think of what I'm hungry for.

"Um...." I start.

"Um is not a food, dummy," he states. placing his hands on his hips like he's been doing since he was twelve. Other boys used to call him some really mean names cause of that little habit of his, but learned not to a long time ago when he went all crazy ninja on their behinds-apparently Carl has a black belt in kung fu or something- so they never made fun of that again.

"Shut up," I snap which just makes him roll his eyes. That's one of my little... bad habits. Gets me in a lot of trouble actually, since when I'm really aggravated at a moment, I usually snap with shut up so I can think. It's a much meaner and less appealing or tolerable habit than Carl's, but no one's ever done anything to stop me. So why should I care?

"How about-" my sentence is left unfinished as the doorbell rings. We both freeze, look at each other with wide eyes, then the door, then each other, then the door, then each other- this repeats for about five seconds. We look like freaking Looney Toons to be honest.

"Who is that!" he whisper yells at me. grabbing me by the shoulders and shaking me violently.

"How am I supposed to know?" I whisper scream in response, what am I psychic?

We don't have time to continiue our little freak out session as, just like the horror movies, the door knob of the front door starts to slowly turn. We both fall silent and watch in horror and helplessness.

Oh. Crap.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Oooh, who is it? Cliffhanger! It shall be revealed next chapter in a way you won't be expecting! Mwahaha, I feel mean but satisfied with that chapter ending, what do you think? LOL see you next chapter! <3

OH and a little explanation for the video on the side >> Uhm, well it's actually just for fun xD I always think this song is hilarious, and it kinda totally contradicts Elena so haha yeah. (:

Love, Lily (: