48 | Upside Down

This chapter had me in an emotional roller coaster so good luck... Vote & comment your feels!!!!
***********

I called Stephanie and told her to come over for some much needed girl time after everything that's been going on this week. Not only had I seen and made an effort to reconnect with my father, school was kicking my ass in more ways than one. It was impossible to get through the day without hundreds of pairs of eyes scrutinizing me and Nathan, and Luke was more than happy to tell me of the rumors floating around the school.

My favorite rumor was the one claiming that I cheated on Thomas with Nathan. Isn't that lovely?

Perhaps the worst part of school is the fact that Holden and Mike were sitting at the lunch table again. They had been skipping school quite frequently, but apparently it was too frequently, and Principal Metler threatened their diplomas if they continue to miss any more classes. Let me give you a solid play by play of how the lunch hour now goes:

Holden says, "Lexi Pennington has a great ass."

Mike adds, "Not as great as Nina Alexander's tits, that's for sure."

Holden nods and tells us all, "I'd hit that ass."

During their vulgar conversations, I tried to pretend like they were in another country, and ignore them to the best of my ability, but it was hard when they were comparing girls a few seats away. That's why when Friday came around, I left school wary of the entire male species and dialed Stephanie's phone number.

"No need to fear, Steph is here!" Stephanie bellows upon opening my front door.

I get up from the couch and look at her gratefully, my gratitude doubling when I see what's in her hands. "You brought your box of movies!"

She kicks the door shut and walks toward me with a grin. "You sounded wiped on the phone, and what better remedy than Jake Ryan and Sixteen Candles to cheer you up again?"

When Stephanie drops the box on the ground in front of the TV, I lunge at her to hug her. She laughs and hugs me back tightly, well aware that I've had quite the week. I told her on Monday that my father was home, and that I spoke with him, but I was too emotionally worn out to explain the details of the encounter with her. When I let Steph go, she put in Sixteen Candles and instructed I sit down, and shortly after she joined me on the couch.

As the credits began rolling for the beginning of the movie, Stephanie turned to me seriously. "So, how did things go with your dad?"

"Surprisingly well, actually," I admit with a small smile. "We talked about everything. He seemed genuinely upset with himself for leaving. Usually I can tell when someone's bullshitting me, but he wasn't. He actually still cares."

"So you forgave him?" Steph asks incredulously. She knew how much his absence hurt me, and I had ultimately given up on missing him to instead grow to hate him.

I shake my head. "I don't really forgive him for leaving," I admit honestly. "But I do want to give him another chance. I want him to be in my life again."

Stephanie studies for a moment, her psychology-ridden mind probably analyzing my decision, before a large smile breaks out on her face. She leans toward me and says softly, "I'm happy for you, Lauren. That's great." I smile wider at the sincerity of her tone. "What changed your mind?"

My smile turns sheepish as I think of a certain boy who somehow completely derailed my old decision and made me see reason. "Nathan."